Day 13 La Canourgue to Mende 28 miles


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Midi-Pyrénées
May 23rd 2014
Published: May 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

D809 to Marvejols,D1 to Col de Goudard, D42 to Mende

The route we took today covers the area that was once terrorised by a huge beast,most likely a wolf ,that in the 1770's was responsible for over hundred human deaths. Such was the impact on the region that King Louis XV ordered the army to find & kill it but they failed. It was finally killed by a local farmer. The beast is still used today as a threat to naughty children who need to learn to behave.

Cycling through through woods today I hoped it didn't have any ancestors !

Very little wind today which made for easier cycling along a quiet road along side the railway line & river ,it was the main road until bypassed.

Later we crossed a narrow stone bridge where the climb began.The road surface is

covered with the names of riders who take part in Le Tour du Gevaudan that takes place every year. The climb lasted for 2.5k but seemed longer,probably because I walked most of the way ! Bradley cycled up with a few stops for breath in between.

Breathtaking views at the top & long easy pedal free descent.Then yet another climb before descending to our stop for the night in Mende. We organised the distances to be shorter now as we are in the mountains .

Bikes & bodies behaving themselves.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



24th May 2014
The only beasts seen today

The only beast seen today ?
Glad mark is not yet in the 'beast' category for his long distance bike ride idea !!

Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.053s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb