Carcassonne


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Midi-Pyrénées » Foix
November 16th 2008
Published: November 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 2nd Nov
It’s 9am and we’re off to Carcassonne some 70miles away from Toulouse. We heard a lot about it and our expectations are high. We’re totally relying on the GPS to take us to Carcassonne. We have absolutely no idea of which part of Toulouse we are. The route chosen by GPS would not be our choice, but given that we didn’t know where we were and our paper map is next to useless, we just had to follow the instructions given. And Oh boy what a tortuous route it was; through every small village (not even on map) and at one stage we just couldn’t go through the narrow streets. Reversing some 300 yards required some skill and I must admit I’m not just a pretty face! After a long and winding route through the countryside, we made it to Carcassonne by 1pm.
The parking for motor homes was well sign-posted and located just outside the walls of the ’walled city’.
The parking was 10Euros but there is no entrance fees to the city. The city of Carcassonne is truly impressive. It has been classed as a world heritage in 1994. It’s a big medieval city built on a mountain summit dominating the whole area. It was also well restored but the village inside the walls is a bit ’touristy’ with hundred of shops selling all sorts of things from toys made in Korea to Belgian/swiss chocolates. We walked round the whole city between the inner and outer walls then meandered up and down the narrow cobbled street till almost dark. We decided to go back to the motor home, have our dinner then come back for the night life. By the time we had dinner, showered etc… we just couldn’t be bothered and want to bed instead.
If anyone reading this, happened to be near the midi Pyrenees region take the bother to visit Toulouse and Carcassonne. It worth any detour.
The next day we do not know whether to drive directly to Spain or make another stop in France near Perpignan. I suppose it all depends on how I (Abder) feel about driving short/long distance.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb