travel day 24: Bayeux


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Lower Normandy
June 17th 2006
Published: June 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

today we spent a lot of time looking at d day stuff. we went to a couple of the beaches and a port that used to be used by the Germans. the bunkers were still there and everything and we were able to go inside. it was creepy going in there. i kinda expected there to be a swastika on the wall and low and behold, there was a giant one some kid must have made inside and someone else wrote a bunch of racist bullshit like "SS", "88", and some other neo nazi symbol with a cross inside a circle. its disgusting but like i said, i figured there would be something there. went to a couple cemeteries as well. first we saw the German one. we didn't want to spend much time there but it was near a d day museum (Normandy has many). the first thing i saw when i was there, was a dummy parachuter stuck on a church. i had no idea what that was until our tour guide/driver told us about it. it was supposed to be a replica of john Steele; an American who got stuck on the church after jumping from the plane. our guide told us there is no proof he actually got stuck on the church and that it is more of a myth. no one can prove it but because of his story, he brought a lot of tourism to certain parts of Normandy. we went inside and saw another good d day film and walked around. not as good as the first museum from yesterday but it was still worth the time. went afterwards to get some lunch. got a tiny omelet (i cant eat salad all day and I'm not really into pasta) and dessert my fat ass didn't need to get. for sure when i had to Barcelona i cant eat like how i have been eating here in France. i know in Barcelona i will make sure i lay off the sweets because from the recipes i have seen online of Spanish desserts, they use a lot of lard. it doesn't seem to be that popular in France with the exception of a few things from what i was told. anyway, we just spent a lot of time looking at things that were left behind my the Germans. its crazy that on such quiet and isolated beaches that all this is here and so much history not from that long ago, still exists. ended our d day trip with visiting the American cemetery. it was very sad to see that many graves all together of Americans who risked their lives. we asked our driver about a Laundromat because i needed to wash some clothes before Barcelona. he insisted that he would have his wife do it for us lol. he is doing a couple loads for us so we gave him 10 euros. he is so nice. he has offered to have us go to his home which is a bed and breakfast owned by him and his wife and everything. he also took us to a store where my mom could get this thing she has wanted and talked about throwout this whole trip. went back to the hotel, ordered pizza and just typed. i was actually thinking of tweaking my itinerary in Belgium but i think i will leave it as it is. i may get the 10 day go pass. even though i would probably only use at most 5 days, i could always resell it. i just want it for the convenience.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb