Mont St Michel


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Lower Normandy
September 11th 2007
Published: September 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Monday


Travel Day! Today we set out on the train to travel to Mont St Michel. It was a workout lugging around our packs again, but we made it. On the train we talked to a nice man from Chambord. He has 3 kids and was born in Evreux. It was a great opportunity to practice our french. He even invited us to his house for dinner (or so we understood). People in France are so nice! :-)

We checked into our hotel in Mont St Michel at around 5:30, used the internet at another hotel for a bit, then went for supper. Our first restaurant meal in France! I (Jordan) had steamed mussles, lamb curry, and frozen nougat (all the local fare). Tonight we also discovered the locally brewed cider, tasted much like Strongbow, but more French.

Tuesday


Got up bright and early to catch the sunrise over the Abbey and took a ton of pictures. Wandered back to the hotel for breakfast followed by an amazing nap. We then walked back along the causeway to the Mont and strolled around the Abbey taking pictures.

After our photo spree, we walked back to the hotel again to un-pack and re-pack all of our stuff looking for my sunglasses (thought to be lost in Paris). Surprise! They were in Kathie's bag...

Sporting my "new" sunglasses, we went shopping for supper and a cheap bottle of red wine. We took our supper back up to the Mont so that we could watch the tide come in. The tide here is quite impressive as it rises about 50 feet in about an hour or so. It's neat to watch the first wave roll all the way in as if it were the start of a new river.

For a bit of perspective keep in mind that the distance along the causeway between our hotel and the Mont is approximately 3km each way. Lots of walking again today.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

JordanJordan
Jordan

With the reflection of the Mont in his sunglasses.
SunsetSunset
Sunset

At high tide the Mont is very much an island.
Mud flatsMud flats
Mud flats

At low tide you can pay to go on a tour of the mud flats, or go at your own risk (quick sand, etc).


Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0854s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb