Too Many Goodbyes Could Kill You


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Lower Normandy » Mont Saint-Michel
April 28th 2013
Published: May 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Did you remember at what point in time you realized your partner was “the one”? I do. I was suddenly down with dengue fever in a strange city. My family was living on the other side of the country. I didn’t know who to turn to, so I contacted my then ex boyfriend (we were on a long break). Not only did he help to checked me in to a hospital, he also visited me every single night after work – without being asked. He even sneaked in fried chicken when I hated the hospital food. For comparison, my parents only visited me once for couple of hours in the 2 weeks duration of my hospitalization. To make matter worse, my lease was actually due that weekend and I have already signed new lease elsewhere. My ex boyfriend was the one packing all of my stuffs, and moving it to my new place. He did it all, without a single complain. Not even a single word. Not even a single pout.

But “the moment” was not that. One night, I felt very hot & itchy in my headscarf and couldn’t sleep. As we weren’t married, I couldn’t take it off
Acres & Acres of Pretty Canola FieldsAcres & Acres of Pretty Canola FieldsAcres & Acres of Pretty Canola Fields

Never thought Normandy is gorgeous!
in front of him. Instead of walking out the door like I had suggested, what he did was reversing his chair to face the wall. There is no TV on that wall. It was just plain wall. He just sat there, facing the wall, the whole night, for so many nights. Every now and then he would call my name if he hears me restless in case I needed anything. And THAT’s the moment I realized, I would be a fool to let him go again. We were married 5 months later.

From then on, we live a blissful married life. I never felt so loved in my entire life. But life is no fairy tale. Life always throws you a curveball. My curveball was long distance relationship. In some twisted faith – our careers led us to live in different countries. It’s complicated. But trust me, we are still trying to move one of our careers & live together. We never stopped trying. We just haven’t succeeded. But for now – we just have to be happy with the 1.5 hours flight to visit each other every weekend. Not every other weekend, not every month – it’s really EVERY weekend. Screw the money. Even though it’s been a while – but I never gotten use to saying goodbye to him. Monday mornings are always the hardest because then it’s another full week to go before our next hug.

So you see, for me, being able to spend more than 2 consecutive nights with him is a luxury. Taking vacation like this is one of the few ways to spend quality time together. But unfortunately, now I have to say another goodbye. He’s in the middle of his project so he has to go back earlier while I will continue the journey to Germany & Switzerland. As I hugged and waved him goodbye at the Charles de Gaulle airport, tears silently run down my cheeks. Gosh, too many goodbyes could kill you. Well, I guess 10 days together is still better than none.

Waking up the next morning, I still feel like somewhat dead inside. But I have to hustle. I got a tour bus to catch. Yup, you hear me right – tour bus. Today’s agenda is going to Mont St Michel in Normandy. Mont St Michel (MSM) was originally not part of the plan. I was worried whether I won’t
Le Mont St Michel with SheepsLe Mont St Michel with SheepsLe Mont St Michel with Sheeps

Taken from the speeding bus - hence a bit blurred
have enough time in Paris, or whether I wanna go Disneyland instead. But about 2 weeks before departing to Europe, those gorgeous Mont St Michel pictures over the sunset during high tide – really swayed me. Unfortunately my change of heart came too late. By then the cost to go via public transportation (train + bus) was already around 150 euro. Had I purchase the tickets earlier, I could’ve gotten it for 60-70 euro. So the best option that I have is to take tour bus which cost 110 euro by France Tourisme . That was already the cheapest I can find online. Other operators offering similar excursions at higher price (like 135-170 euro).

We gathered at their office in front of River Seine (near Shakespeare bookstore) at 7 am. The bus left relatively on time. It was only 50-60%!f(MISSING)ull and I got the front seat all by myself. The bus lady driver was chatting with the guide, Justine. I don’t speak French but at least I can recognize they were introducing themselves. Interesting. So apparently the tour operator rent vehicle depending on the # of tourist joining. Make sense. I saw the tour group going to Brugge is using van instead of a bus.

MSM is about 4 hours drive. One way. I thought it would be a painfully long bus ride, but I ended up enjoying it more than I thought. Normandy is sooo pretty! There are so many canola fields! Acres and acres of it! That bright yellow, contrasting with the pink blossom tree (sakura!), green hills and blue sky – OMG what a symphony! Unfortunately I’m on a bus and the stops are nowhere near the canola fields – so I ended up with many blur pictures. I wish this is a road trip with my buddy M. We did road trip to NZ and Norway before. Each time we will rent a car and I can ask him to stop to take good pictures. I guess my next Europe trip would be focusing on the country side and hidden gems. Hey, just because a place is not famous – that doesn’t mean they are less pretty right?

I think I read somewhere the chance of rain in MSM is around 80%!o(MISSING)r so. Hence I actually feel doing this particular day trip is a gamble. What if it’s rainy, and foggy, and I can’t see a thing?
Cute (but touristy) MSM TownCute (but touristy) MSM TownCute (but touristy) MSM Town

Noticed the Japanese sign!
Or cannot take good pictures? But I’m blessed with blue sky!!! Even Justine said this is rare. I guess M was right. I tend to have good lucks with weather.

Justine the guide gave us option whether we want to follow her (where she will introduce the town and guide you in the abbey) or roam by ourselves. I’m definitely choosing the independent option. I only ask her where’s the meeting point, what time and make sure I got the abbey ticket (included in the tour price) and just jet off.

The town itself is cute! Small alleys with old shops left & right. When you’re lost – just go up. You’ll ended up at the Abbey eventually. But… the town is also very touristy. One restaurant actually offer the Madame Poulard’s omelet for 60 euro per portion!!! What!!! They also offer package lunch (with desert etc) with more premium price. And to my surprise, the restaurant is actually quite packed… Wow…

Another sign of touristy town: lots of foreign translation. We’re in France but for a second I forgot where am I. The menus are translated not only to English but Japanese! Seriously! The prices there are about 50%!h(MISSING)igher vs Paris. I know my time was short and things would be expensive (plus with my dietary restriction) – so I already brought my packed lunch. I enjoy my humble meal while witnessing magnificent view. The tide was low, so we can see sand banks everywhere – such a pretty contrast with the blue sky. From a far I can see that there are several guided tour to walk at the banks.

The Abbey itself – well, it was still being actively used. And it’s very… humble. I’ve been to quite a lot of churches, cathedrals, abbeys – so I can compare. There’s not much of colorful mosaic window tiles, or astonishing dome, it’s just… humble. I personally find MSM to be prettier from outside, and from afar. But still, it’s only 7 euro to get in anyway – so when you’re here already – why not?

Some might argue that MSM is too far for a day trip. It’s indeed 8 hours drive (2 way) and you can only stay for about 3-4 hours whether you’re joining a tour or taking public transportation (unless you’re staying nearby for the night). But was it worth it? For me, yes it was. Especially because I was blessed with blue sky. Plus, it’s a good break from Paris. If you don’t venture out – you’ll think the whole France looks like Paris. Well, it’s not. There are other charming sides too.

If I could do it all over again, I will make sure I purchase early bird tickets. And instead of doing it as a day trip from Paris; I would’ve spend the night in another town – maybe somewhere between Paris and MSM. There’s so much to experience in France than just Paris.

On the way back to Paris, I got a text message from my hubby. He has arrived safely and just waiting for his bag. I smile bitterly and silently pray for God to always keep him safe, and for us to be together again somehow. Soon, please. Chop chop. Four years of separation is more than enough.

Click here for more of my pictures, and here for my hotel reviews .

Advertisement



29th May 2013

How romantic...
I hope you can arrange soon to have both your jobs in the same city. As for touring country sides, I recommend a rental car...a week would take you to Giverny, Normandy, MSM, Karnac on the southern coast of Brittany, and back to Paris along the Loire River with its chateaux. Of course, once you have a car you are free to go anywhere!
29th May 2013

yup, agree, definitely it's better to rent a car for freedom :)
30th May 2013

What a great story!
I was just at MSM about 3 weeks ago...

Tot: 0.258s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 32; qc: 137; dbt: 0.1409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb