Snails, wine, D Day and castles


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Lower Normandy » Caen
November 2nd 2007
Published: November 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

ToulouseToulouseToulouse

Street life
Another update and hopefully it is not to far from the other one I posted otherwise I'm not up to date again.

Well from the Mediteranean we went to a city called Toulouse which is not to far from the Spanish border so they have a big influence in this city. I wont be writing heaps on each place that we have gone to just the main things we did in the city, well in this place there is the longest complete Romanesque structure in the world so looked around there for awhile. We found out that your not allowed to sit on the grass (a police man was blowing his whistle and yelling in French at us saying something) what is with that I have no idea! In the city centre as with most of the cities we are seeing are the beautiful small little streets that go everywhere and we just love cruising around them and going into shops and dreaming of the things we would like to buy from them. But the main thing we did in this city would have to be eat snails! The host we were staying with invited us around to his mates
BordeauxBordeauxBordeaux

Around town
and we went and got some wine and other food then we noticed snails in the freezer with the frozen goods so grabbed them of course. We had a really traditional meal that night, wine, bagette, olives, different types of cheese, some kind of paste that has a real rare mushroom in it that pigs find under the soil and dig them up to collect, pasta and of course snails! Turned out to be a big one with the local lads knowing where to go on a Monday night so we went to a pub which had 13 beers for 13 buck, score! Ended up pretty drunk and our host and his mates cooking up a storm at 4.30am with vodka of course and I made a couple of phone calls home as well to top it off!
Not that we didn't have enough to drink that night out next stop was Bordeaux, the famous wine growing region. Well our main focus in the place was obviously the wine so the second day there we went for a day trip out to one of the wineries which was in the town Saint Emilion which was a beautiful old village completely surrounded with vines. We bumped into a few other Aussie on the train and they happened to have a bottle so that was gone by the time we arrived so headed into town for some more samples. Ended up buying a bottle and having a nice lunch with another Aussie lad and was a good day.
Next stop was Blois heading into the centre of France and not a great deal to do there except go and see the Chateau de Blois which is the biggest castle in the area and was massive. Only there for one night before we headed back to the coast but this time up north to the Atlantic to St Malo. Our main reason for going here was to go and see Mont St Michel on top of the hill with the massive tides that come in around it and they go out 11mile each day! When coming in the water goes 1m per second so that is moving! Mt St Michel looked awesome from the outside and on the inside there is a maze of tunnels and corridors. It took 1200 years to build after it collapsed many times over the years.
Well rushing through we had a good look around there and St Malo, there is the old town surrounded by a fort in this town and a high tide the vaves were coming crashing actually over the wall onto the streets and the weather wasn't even bad! We now we are in Caen and today we went for a day trip to the D Day beaches along Normandy in northern France and had a look at the American Cemetery and also the museum. It was a very strange feeling going through that area and reading the names on the back of the crosses (there are 9600 for three day of battle and that was just the US) and when we walked along the beach we had it all to ourselves trying to imagine what it must have been like to land there under such heavy fire. It was a very interesting day and didn't realise the scale of the operation that went on until visiting that beach and looking at the cemetery and the museum.
So that is the last week rushed and today we are going to to PARIS!!!!!!!!!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 94, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

ToulouseToulouse
Toulouse

Barsilique Steserhin
ToulouseToulouse
Toulouse

Barsilique Steserhin
ToulouseToulouse
Toulouse

Barsilique Steserhin
ToulouseToulouse
Toulouse

Streets
ToulouseToulouse
Toulouse

Buildings
ToulouseToulouse
Toulouse

Snails anyone?
ToulouseToulouse
Toulouse

Proof that we ate them
ToulouseToulouse
Toulouse

Proof that we ate them
ToulouseToulouse
Toulouse

Calling Head at 4.30am after a few drinks
BordeauxBordeaux
Bordeaux

Around town
BordeauxBordeaux
Bordeaux

Around town
BordeauxBordeaux
Bordeaux

Around town
BordeauxBordeaux
Bordeaux

Aound town
BordeauxBordeaux
Bordeaux

Around town
BordeauxBordeaux
Bordeaux

Not blood, it was red cross week there
BordeauxBordeaux
Bordeaux

Around town
BordeauxBordeaux
Bordeaux

Around town


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb