Wines and Sundays in France


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Lorraine » Nancy
August 10th 2008
Published: August 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Aug 10, 2008

Today we want to travel around the wine region of Alsace and try some of the local wine but we are disappointed. Apparently the wineries in BC, Washington and California state have something special as here when directed off the wine route you head to a winery but all you see are signs at the end of little roads explaining what type of grape is planted and what food you should drink it with. There are many little roads throughout the vineyards which you can drive and cycle on but there is no tasting room with the local wines at the end. We decide to carry on and head to a larger town to find some food. In France Sunday shopping does not exist and I mean nothing is open, no corner store, hardly a gas station or a restaurant, or grocery store. We manage to find a little Turkish food store open and purchase some fruit, warm baguettes and juice and then continue on. We continue towards Nancy as we are sure something will be open - nothing really but we stumble across the Tourist information centre at the corner of a large square known as Place Stanislaw. There are huge buildings and an Arc de Triumph leading out of the square along with very stylized gates with gold. It is quite something to see. We drive to St. Dizier just inside the Champagne region to stop for the night. Tomorrow we are told that at some of the Champagne houses there is tasting and tours, hopefully that is true.

Advertisement



11th August 2008

Cheers!
Enjoying your reports very much -- family, chocolate, castles, spas -- lets hope you get your Champagne!! Enjoy Paris!

Tot: 0.481s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb