Metz Day II


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Lorraine » Metz
June 21st 2013
Published: August 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Porte SerpenoisePorte SerpenoisePorte Serpenoise

the triumphal gate.
Geo: 49.1161, 6.1727

We awoke to rain this morning, but that cleared enough for us to set out to see the remaining sights of Metz on our to-do list.

First stop was Porte Serpenoise, a triumphal Arch which used to mark the south limit of the city of Metz from the third until the early twentieth centuries.

We then visited Saint-Pierre-aux-Nonnains Basilica, which is one of the oldest churches in the world, and home to the Gregorian Chant. Close by was the 13th century Romanesque Knights Templar Chapel, once part of the Templar commandery of Metz, the oldest Templar institution of the Holy Roman Empire.

With the weather turning cold, we headed for the warmth of the new Centre Pompidou-Metz, a museum of modern and contemporary arts and viewed four special exhibitions.

We then walked to the Porte des Allemands or German's Gate, which dates from the 13th century, and is the last remaining medieval bridge castle in France. The fortification played a crucial defensive role during the siege of Metz in 1552–1553 by Emperor Charles V.

We then visited Eglise Saint-Eucaire Church, which dates back to 1552.

Our sightseeing done for the day, we walked back into the centre of Metz to look around the shops.

Off to Paris tomorrow for a one night stopover.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Porte des Allemands Porte des Allemands
Porte des Allemands

or Germans Gate.


Tot: 0.359s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.112s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb