Sad at Oradour sur Glane


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Limousin » Limoges
July 27th 2012
Published: July 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Our new sunglasses at Clarmont FerrandOur new sunglasses at Clarmont FerrandOur new sunglasses at Clarmont Ferrand

But Terry not happy to just get Michelle's old ones
The municipal campsite at Pontgibaud near Clermont Ferrand was our best campsite yet. It really is a beautiful spot by the river (although we have had enough of rivers), within walking distance of the town and just €16 per night.

Michelle bought new sunglasses in Clermont Ferrand and gave Terry her old ones, in punishment for losing his!

A happy three nights there but we needed to be moving on.
Thursday morning we were up and out by 10.55am. That is a record for us and beats the old one by 30 minutes!


And so we arrived at Camping des Alouettes, Cognac la Foret, near Limoges by 2.30pm, at a lovely site recommended by our friends Linda and Dennis. Here, which until we arrived was 100% Dutch, everyone said hello and smiled. How strange! Up to now we have found most campers and caravanners a miserable lot. Maybe the very friendly and helpful Dutch owners are an inspiration!


The weather is no longer so good and as the next day was cloudy we set off for Oradour sur Glane, the village of the martyrs, where in 1944 the nazis decided to kill everyone in the village and destroy it in retribution for the kidnapping of a Nazi officer. The men were shot in groups and their bodies burned; 400 women and children were locked in the church after which hand grenades were thrown in and then set on fire. The houses and shops were looted and also set on fire. Six people from the town survived. Nothing has been touched since that time and it is a very moving place to walk around. No photos though as that never seemed right. How people could throw hand grenades at little children we will never know, but we guess it still goes on now. Terry should stop going to these places, even in the church people were laughing and talking loudly. It just gets him wound up.


Terry has now relented and bought a new camera. There was a sale on at a supermarket and he has a Nikon at only £40. So now we may have photos again.

Advertisement



27th July 2012

History
I love that your blog involves bits of history, i think i have learned more reading your blogs than i did at school, as when you mention a place etc i immediately google it to find out more. Well done you will make a scholar of me yet. More photos please (now you have your new camera of course)
27th July 2012

History
I love that your blog involves bits of history, i think i have learned more reading your blogs than i did at school, as when you mention a place etc i immediately google it to find out more. Well done you will make a scholar of me yet. More photos please (now you have your new camera of course)

Tot: 0.314s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.1031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb