Paris to Avignon


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
France's flag
Europe » France » Languedoc-Roussillon
September 13th 2011
Saved: September 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Another early start and 12 hours on the coach to reach Avignon.
Provencial France is more rolling than Germany. Rather pretty.
It was an overcast day so a good day for travelling.

At Avignon there is the Palace of the Popes as seven Roman Catholic Popes resided there during the 14th Century. The Palace is still standing with its stone carved gargoyles & monkeys to protect it from evil and a gilded statue of our Lady poised with welcoming arms perched on the highest tower and visible throughout the township.
The Pont de St Benezet is more commonly know as the Pont de Avignon as in the song sung many times during my high school French days " Sur le pont d'Avignon L'on y danse, l'on y danse. Sur le Pont d'Avignon L'on y danse tous en rond."

No dancing girls were to be seen though. They must have know I had been at Moulin Rouge the night before and went into hiding. Part of the bridge has fallen down through age but I was there and saw it !!

Avignon was a quiet meal in hotel and a rest chill out cos we are all exhausted.

Off to Barcelona in the morning.....8am start.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom

Madonna Madonna
Madonna

Covered in gold leaf this Madonna glitters above the township of Avignon


Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0315s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb