The rest of Carcasonne....except for Friday the 13th...


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Languedoc-Roussillon » Carcassonne
August 21st 2010
Published: August 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Chicken LunchChicken LunchChicken Lunch

Simple....but definitely affable. Great flavor. And inexpensive as well.
THURSDAY - I have a feeling most of the eating out is at an end. All friends and family are in town. Tonight was a quiet night at the house with Rob and Erica as Kevin went to pick up Julie Brown, coming in from Aussie. I discovered today that Rob has a SERIOUS coffee addiction, and watched a total metamorphosis as he was infused with caffeine. Note to self: carry chocolate covered coffee beans when with Rob Lauder.

Rob is an excellent cook, and made the three of us a beautiful salad full of goodies from the frig. It’s amazing what you can do with leftovers. Nothing spectacular, but just flavorful and nice.


FRIDAY- Kevin’s birthday dinner was fabulous. The restaurant, La Bergerie, is about a half hour out of Carcassonne. We had worries because the owner, Priscilla, had a little too much attitude for only one Michelin star. The meal was spectacular though. Refer to the separate blog for a complete description. A picture is worth a thousand words…..

SATURDAY - Kevin, Julie and I took off to Lastours for a look at the Cathar castles and stopped for lunch at a little café in
Tomato TatinTomato TatinTomato Tatin

Who would think you could do this with tomatoes? Lovely sweet flaky pastry, and a caramel glaze. A fabulous starter.
the town that was open. It wasn’t fancy….a quarter roast chicken with pommes frites…but it was flavorful. And isn’t that what it is all about? A lovely sauce as well, and only about 12 Euro each. One of our better deals!

Tonight we joined the English contingent for dinner in Carcassonne. Rob and Erica Lauder spotted a restaurant they had been to a few years back so we decided to try it. I had a Tomato Tatin for an entrée, Entrecote for a main, and profiteroles for dessert. The tomato tatin had a flaky pastry and a caramel sauce on it, and it was delightful. The steak was tough, and undercooked ( I should have known better), but other mains were lovely and flavorful, I was told. The profiteroles were beautiful, with a dark, rich chocolate sauce and vanilla bean ice cream. There were three as well. Check out all the pix for complete descriptions.

SUNDAY - Kevin was sick so we packed up the house, said goodbye to Rob and Erica, and Ed and Wendy, and went back to Mailhac, where Kathy joined us for the night. She made some great scrambled eggs, with fresh tomatoes. Just
Profiteroles forever!Profiteroles forever!Profiteroles forever!

Three, count 'em - THREE - made with vanilla bean ice cream and a wonderful HOT dark chocolate sauce. Bliss.....my other favorite French dessert.
the right end to a food overload for the last couple of nights. Up bright and early tomorrow to return cars and pick up the canal boat in Valence-sur-Baise.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Kevin's salmon something...Kevin's salmon something...
Kevin's salmon something...

I didn't get to hear much about this, but he said it was wonderful! And he knows his salmon...


Tot: 0.303s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.084s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb