Glorious summer today, perfect for a scooter trip along the coast.


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Languedoc-Roussillon » Canet-en-Roussillon
September 13th 2017
Published: September 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

For the very first time this trip I dressed with confidence, from getting up, in suntop and shorts. Today the weather has been exactly as we expect it to be on our September trip, once we are right in the south. Blue sky and glorious sunshine. Perfect..



We scootered along to the town and the main beach at Canet-Plage. A long, long stretch of sand already with quite a few occupants taking advantage of the first proper sun for days. Stopped for a coffee and people-watch then went a bit further south following the coast until we came to the Canet en Roussillon Lake just set back a little from the road. This is a wildlife reserve, always a good sort of place for a stroll so we took one and it was very pleasant. There is a reconstructed traditional fisherman’s village near the main entrance with a dozen huts. One is used as a little museum, the others contain the current fishermen’s tackle. We spotted a few birds, took a few photos and we were told, just as we were leaving that there are 2000 flamingoes on the lake, but out of sight from the part of the lake we could see ! It seems they live here all summer but depart for the Camargue for the winter - in about a week’s time. That would be a sight to see.



Scootered further along to St-Cyprien where we had another stroll round the harbour, very much a working fishing port if the number of nets and fishing accoutrements along the harbour wall was anything to go by.

Lunch stop as a perfect place to get Bob’s holiday seaside favourite, Moules Frites then we checked out the St Cyprien beach which is another superb stretch of sand. Wished I had brought my costume as if I had I would have been right into that sea for a swim.



Stopped again at the lake on the way back to spot the flamingoes. Could see a large flock across the water but also one in the water just near to us, or there was until someone walked their dog along the edge of the lake so the flamingo took off.

Stopped again at Canet Plage for the mandatory, on such a lovely , ice-cream then back to the campsite for a swim in the very nice pool.



Now got to work out where to spend the extra days we have gained on Plan A. May move a little way north along the coast near to Agde. Don’t want to waste any of this sunshine by moving away from the south and the coast too soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



14th September 2017

Canet Plage
We were here and in the surrounding area with our caravan a long time ago
14th September 2017

Canet Plage
Sun has gone in now. Still, we've had 1 perfect day. Off to Cap d'Agde tomorrow for a couple more days by the sea. xx
19th September 2017
Young Flamingo taking flight

Fantastic
Flamingos are one of my favorites.

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb