South of France - Big Fat Gipsy Bikeride


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Languedoc-Roussillon » Aude
May 13th 2011
Published: May 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Camping in AvignonCamping in AvignonCamping in Avignon

Monsieur erects the tent for the first time
Bonjour mes amies!

Nous vacation c'est manifique!

We left Troyes and headed to Avignon on Sunday - seems so long ago now.... Avignon need I say is truly stunning - the French know how to preserve their heritage and are generous with the access they allow everyone to it. We looked for a hotel and could not find one so decided to start camping. We stayed on a site called Camping Bagatelle. Ok for overnight and quick access to the fortified town. Avignon is situated on the Rhone which is a beautiful river. We pitched the tent and set the cooker up and made ourselves comfy for the night. Slept well, tent is amazingly easy to pitch and very comfy. Not a site you would want to stay on for more than a night but I think that was the purpose of it anyway.

Monday we set off for Arles where Ian was going to begin his bike ride. At the last minute he found there was a canal from Arles to Sete and decided to add that on to his epic ride! Arles is a beutiful Roman City - very busy and it was also very ho30
Magic mushroomMagic mushroomMagic mushroom

This huge mushroom was on a tree next to the tent. When I got up in the night for a pee in the dark it was puffing a mist at intervals - very spooky.
degrees. Cycling along this canal did not work because the path was really bad - so dont try it if you are looking for biking tips. When we got to Aigues Morts the TI told us you are not allowed to cycle along it without written permission because it is so dangerous. See pics of Aigues Morts - The french have all these beautiful towns hidden away - each one you come across is breathtaking. It is steeped in history here and as they suffered very little bombing in the War all the fortified towns are amazingly intact and still habitated.
pond

Arrived in Sainte Marie Eglise - followed an avenue of Tamarisk in full bloom to the sea. Nice but busy - lots of beautiful people. If you are going to camp here some tips: There are two sites in St Marie one is just like a car park and is full of Camper Vans - ghastly! The other is by the sea and nice but there is no shade and believe me it is hot! We decided to go to the one that is about 6km outside called Campings Le Ferme - go here it is LOVELY! a pond full of ducks and camping under olive trees which in the evening release the most beautiful sweet smell. There were lots of beavers as well. One word of warning remember the Carmargue is marshland and that means Mozzies galore a strike squad arrived and bit me half to death! So remember to be armed with spray and all that stuff.

The Carmargue is a beautiful area - famous for its wild horses, bulls, flamingos and scenic marshland. In fact it was the place where bull fighting began. There is a bull fighting race through the streets in April which we thankfully missed. The hedgerows in the whole district were lined with yellow iris. Monsieur enjoyed riding here, however, because its flat and near the sea it is always windy. I mean very windy so cycling can be difficult. Monsieur was heading for Sete to pick up the Canal du Midi. The first part of the ride was fine but the traffic got steadily worse and because it is marshland there are not a lot of quiet roads as you get further South which means at times you are cycling on some nightmare roads. As I drove along I saw lots of lost cyclists and lots of very near misses - the driving down here is atrocious. At a place called Palavas we decided we had had enough of this palava and would miss Sete and head for Beziers to find the start of the Canal. We found another lovely little rural campsite and stayed there - although we arrived late we had a good meal cooked by Madame and planned the route ahead.

We set off from here on Wednesday morning heading for Carcassone. Unfortunately, again the canal path was very very rough - even with a mountain bike it would be tough so Monsieur diverted to some minor roads and had a lovely ride through L'Aude. Madame took off into the unknown and followed some single track roads. I have to say I went through some stunning countryside. Vineyards for miles and fields of lovely red poppies. I stopped often and just drank in the peace and solitude. Something was obviously preparing me for hitting Carcassone. The traffic is nightmarish but when you see Le Citie as you drive in it is all worth it. We stayed in Camping Le Citie - a really good campsite very big campings with laurel hedges all round your pitch so really private. The nightingales sang all night for us it was fab.

Set off Thursday morning went to McDonalds to use their free Wi-fi to post my blog and pranged the car big time - spoiled the rest of the day for me. Until that is I got to the campsite La Cathare at Lac de Genuise we lay in our tent with the doors open looking out at the stars and the beautiful lake. Slept like babies and up and ready for the stint to Toulouse. This is the best campsite so far if you are down this way make sure you stop over. Madame was lovely and friendly - the site was fab with huge campings and spotless Showers etc. We have decided to bypass Toulouse as reputation not to good and I am a bit fed up with really busy cities. Madame Sat Nav is taking me on the most gorgeous ride through Gironde following cycle roads that are quite and heavenly - I feel like I am in a film. Today we are heading for a place called Canals which is about 20km past Toulouse. Monsieur is happy with the Canal cycle path on this stint as it is tarmac so easier riding.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb