47647 - 5 Tips for Planning Your First European Vacation


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
August 1st 2017
Published: August 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Taking your first European vacation is exciting and nerve-wracking. There are so many factors to consider to make it go smoothly. Where will you stay? How long should you visit each city? The memories you make during this trip will stay with you for the rest of your life, which means you don't want anything to go wrong. No trip is perfect, but you can avoid travel disasters and limit the types of problems that can occur by following these five tips.

Don't Rush Through Too Many Cities



It's incredibly easy to travel to multiple countries and cities across Europe. Almost every country is only a few hours away from the others, and there's so much to do and see. However, if you try to rush your trip by packing in too many locations, then you could miss out on important sights or spend more time traveling than actually enjoying Europe.

Try to allow at least two to four full days in each city you visit. Larger cities like Berlin and Paris are likely to require more time. If you're ready to leave a city early, then you can consider taking a day trip to a nearby town or adjust your reservations. It's better to have too much time than to wish you had more.

Plan Downtime

One of the dangers of planning your first trip to Europe is that you overestimate how much you can see and do in one day. While you might believe that you can push through any exhaustion to see some amazing cities, your body will tell you otherwise. If you fill up every day with must-see sights, you're going to have to skip at least a couple when a tour goes over time or if you want to see more time in certain museums.

Another reason for scheduling downtime in your schedule is so you can see other attractions that might not have come up in your research. If you have an open afternoon, then you can visit a museum or just enjoy the region without the pressure of following your plan.

Talk to Your Hotel and Hostel Staff

The best online research can't compete with the expertise of locals. When you arrive, ask the people working at your hotel or hostel for advice on where to go, what to see, and where to eat. They should be able to recommend some food based on your budget and tastes while giving you tips on navigating tourist destinations. They might know something that travel websites don't, like the importance of arriving early or buying tickets in advance.

If you're traveling alone, then hostels are also great places to meet friends. You can find clean, high-end hostels in most city centers, and can book your own room for about the same price or less as a hotel. You can ask for advice from the people you're staying with and even travel around with them if you want to see the same sights.

Prebook as Much as Possible

There's nothing worse than returning from vacation with a giant credit card bill that will take months to pay off or shortening your trip because you ran out of funds. One way you can prevent this is by prebooking and prepaying as much as possible.

Many tours, flights, and transportation options will charge your card as soon as you buy, which means you can start booking your trip months in advance and pay off the expenses before you go. Even some hotels will accept advance payment to further ensure your trip is paid for before you even leave the country. Just make sure your prebooked transportation and hotel accommodations are refundable at least a few days out in case your travel plans change.

Establish a Daily Budget

Even if you're able to prebook and pay off most of your trip, you're likely to accrue additional expenses in the form of food, drinks, souvenirs, museum admission, and tours. To budget for this, set aside a certain amount that you're allowed to spend each day. You're likely to stay under budget on some days but then make up for it a few days later.

For example, if your budget is $100 per day and you only spend $30 one day, then you can splurge on a cool souvenir or a nice dinner that brings your daily expenses up to $170 a few days later. As long as your daily spending habits are close to your set budget, you won't run out of money prematurely.

While minor setbacks can be frustrating at the time, you're like to remember only the good times if you plan your European vacation well. Plus, you can chalk any problems that you encounter up to experience that you can use next time you go abroad.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.629s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.286s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb