Day 19 - Charon-sur-Saonne to Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
July 8th 2016
Published: July 10th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Woke early to put bags out at 0630. Looked like all bags were already out but ours weren't late so why wake too early. Ended up staying up and had an early breakfast. Last on the ship so there are more farewells with the staff. They have been a great crew so it is hard to leave them behind, however, they just clean up and get ready for a new bunch that afternoon. Sure they won't be as good as us.
Onto buses for a drive to Dijon where we have about 1.5 hours before we get to the station for our TGV ride to Paris. We Re walked down to the centre of town where we are given our free time and to meet back there at 1215. Luckily Annette and Colin (part of our 6) have spent some time before the ship so we appoint them tour guides for the morning. We get around the town quite well, finding a cathedral, and an interesting museum. Musee Rude. Hmm. Ok free entry so in we go. It is an old church and as you walk in the sculpture at the back of the entry hall is huge. All of 6m high and the lead figure is naked. Oh dear, what is to be seen. Turns out that is probably the rudest bit but this sculpture has lots to be seen. Old roman ruins under the floor, more sculptures of Joan of Arc and Napolean Bonepart and others less famous (or unknown to us). More wandering then we find the market halls. Some need a toilet break so we go to a cafe (cheaper and we needed a drink anyway). Found one and lots of the ship people so we were quite near our meeting point. Refreshed we have about 20 mins so decide to do the market halls and to get some bread, meat and cheese and make up our own baguettes. Plenty of meat, cheese but no bread left. Plan B - fruit. Everyone gets some fruit and we are off to meet the others. All there on time and we start walking back tot he buses. Annette says she remembered a baguette ship on our way in. She and I scoot ahead and buy a few baguettes that we get cut to share with our fruit. On the bus for a 5 minute drive to the station, then a wait of about 20 minutes before they post which platform the train departs from. Another beer (only place with seats - or that was our excuse) then we go to the platform. Amazing what a crowd of 80 people looks like going down a tunnel to get to the platform. Most of the locals weren't overly amused.... Train arrives, we have seats upstairs and quickly get a 4 seater and another 2 seats opposite, but then another group of 4 arrive begging that 4 seater. They get their way but it wasn't a real issue. Away we go and food is distributed - which BTW was really nice and fresh. Very cold can of beer and train is now going rather quickly - no indication of speed on this one. Sleepers everywhere and next thing we are stopping in Paris. Now comes the part to get the 80 people through the station and out onto buses. Again a mass of bodies but none are lost. The tour guide is extremely happy about that. The bus takes us on a bit of a tour of Paris to get to our hotel which is near the Arc d'Triomphe. Nice looking hotel. Get our room and decide to meet in a hour to see some sights then our last dinner together. Bags waiting in our room, they had been shipped by truck from the ship to Paris. Quick shower then downstairs. Walk to the Arc and try to get under the road. Take the Metro stairs so no go, then find the right ones eventually. Looked like you had to pay but then we found that the paying was only for the top of the Arc.up we go and wander around. Looks like they are having a ceremony soon. Sure enough, in 15 minutes they start a ceremony to lay wreath and a bit of pomp and ceremony. Because of all the recent events in Paris, the security is every present - at this ceremony they had at least 12 fully armed soldiers - mean looking dudes as well, patrolling the area. Ceremony over, the others were very impressed that we had arranged that for them....... Back under and decide it is time to eat. Wander back and find a nice corner cafe/restaurant. Get seats and order drinks and pizzas with salad. Nice. One of our elder ladies, Jan, hasn't been to Paris before so we talk about getting to the Eiffel Tower, maybe hop on hop off bus or even a taxi bus shared between all of us. No taxis evident, and where we veto the the big buses, there are people everywhere and the cost and time was going to be too much and too late. Bugger. Anyway, we suggest that Jan and Heather get their taxi to the station tomorrow morning a bit earlier and do a sweep past the tower and maybe a few other things as well. They were happy with that. Get back to the hotel with no issues and off to bed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.432s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1697s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb