Day 4: Bienvenue à Paris!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
September 15th 2015
Published: September 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Paris

History, Culture, Charm! Oo la la!

151849SEP2015

Bonjour mes amis!!!!

Today was interesting, and very special...as all my days are out here.

It was my big day in the city of Paris! I was giddy and woke up early to primp. I wanted to look stylish and purdy for my big day in a beautiful city!

I scheduled a tour with Cityvision, that gave me an hour bus tour through the city, boat ride on the Seine, and lunch in the Eiffel Tower. I was READY!

So the tour was to begin from the Cityvision headquarters (acrosstfrom the Louvre) at 9 AM. My Comfort Hotel in Champigny is about a 25 minute drive from their headquarters. So I spent the night prior doing a lot fo strategizing on timelines. I knew it was a Monday, around the time the work day would start...and I was to drive into a MAJOR city. So I gave myself an hour and a half to get there. I left the hotel around 7 AM. I had to get to the tour place at 830 to check in.

Yup, I should have left even earlier! I read all the trip advisor articles and blogs about travelling into Paris, and like any city, mass transportation is the easiest way to do it. But I dropped almost an extra grand for this audi couple, and I WILL drive it! However, about an hour into the drive I was seriously reconsidering it!

Driving into the outskirts of the city was easy enough. Volume was reasonable. What was refreshing for me, was the civilized driving of most of the people out here. I am used to UAE, and the "no rules" concept as people run you off the road, cut you off, and don't use turn signals in their Lexuses and Range Rovers. Driving into Paris, I never had an issue merging or switching lanes. People left me in with no struggle, and people used turn signals! I definitely was not driving in Abu Dhabi, Philly, or NYC...that is for darn sure!

What I hated though, were the motorbikes and vespas. They weave in and out of traffic, and share lanes with vehicles. They are truly fearless, and I always found myself staring at my rear view mirror looking for them to come up on me, so I knew not to make any sudden jerks of the wheel. They keep their hazards on, and just cruise. While annoying, I can see the convienence of it. They definitely get through traffic without any issues, while us lowlifes in cars crawl along.

It was around 8 AM when my navigation took me to the Rue di Rivoli, a main street adjacent to the Louvre. I was about 3 KM away. I should have just parked and walked...I should have I should have I should have. I was CRAWLING. In Paris they have separate bus and taxi lanes (2 of them), and they merge left into the main lanes (2 lanes as well). That makes volume horrendous. I would sit at lights for 5 or 6 changes before I crawled through. I was starting to sweat, and get nervous. In 30 minutes I moved about 1 km. I was going to be late for check in! I decided to just find a parking garage to park in. I turned onto a random street that had a parking garage sign. It was underground. I went down about 4 levels, and backed into a space. Cost about 28 Euros to park for the day (UGH). By the time I got my ticket and parked, it was 845. OH NO! I still had to run 2 more kilometers, and still I was not completely confident I knew where the place was...I was hoping just to see a big tour bus!

And thus began Kimberly Kopack's mad dash across the city of Paris! In my Gucci clothes, and boots made for walking (not running). I am so glad I am a runner. This was the moment I have been preparing for!!!! I darted between the many Parisians going to work, and who probably thought I was out of my mind. What a way to see the city...sprinting in a panic! I manged to glimpse at things while I ran in my camel leather jacket. I ran past the Saint Jacques Tower (a 16th century monument), trendy fashion shops, a shopping arcade with an antiques shop, and the Église Réformée de l'Oratoire du Louvre ( an old Protestant church built in the 17th century). All in all, I ran about 2 km, the whole time thinking to myself what I was going to do for the day since I was positive I was going to miss the tour.

858, I see the Cityvision
The Luxor ObeliskThe Luxor ObeliskThe Luxor Obelisk

Used to live in the front of the Luxor Temple in Egypt, until it was relocated in 1833.
Headquarters building, and all the people sitting outside. Could it be?! I ran inside, and checked in. The lady told me to go to Bus 6, but to hurry. I ran out and to the right, and there was Bus 6. The doors were about to close when I squeezed in. MADE IT!!!! BARELY! I was breathing hard and sweating in my designer clothes, when the tour guide greeted me in English and gave me my tour sticker and headphones. I am definitely glad I can run.

The panoramic bus was a double decker. Pick of the seats were slim since I was late, but I got a decent enough one. You plugged your headphones into the jack in the seat in front of you, and switch the channel to the language you needed. Channel 1 was English! The bus proceeded to drive around the city, while we received a tour of the major landmarks. Any lull was filled in with English songs about France, and French music. By then I had a major headache from stress, and I was sweaty and tired. I was so relaxed from the gentle rocking of the bus I almost fell asleep. But the rampant photographer in me fought hard, and I got some great shots around the city! The bus took us to Place Vendôme - Opéra - Louvre museum - Notre Dame Cathedral - Pantheon Church - Luxembourg - Orsay Museum - Concorde Square - Champs-Elysées Avenue - Arch of Triumph - Eiffel Tower. The audio tour was great! Gave a lot of information! It ended at the base of the Eiffel Tower, on the marina side. After parking, the tour group separated. Half stayed on the bus to continue a tour, while the rest of us got ready to get on a boat.

It was a glass-walled boat, which I am sure is great in the winter or when it is raining. Since the rain actually stopped and it was sunny, I wish I had gotten on a boat with an open terrace. Nevertheless, I took a seat towards the front, and listened to the tour guide speak a whole mess of languages. On a side note, Cityvision is a great company. The tour guides were knowledgeable, friendly, and knew SO many languages! So impressive! I wanted to explore more of their packages. Maybe next time I'm in France I will. Anyways back to the main story. Each seat had a phone looking thing you held up to listen to the audio tour. I was not a fan of it. It was big, clunky, and I am sure EXTREMELY unsanitary. I ended up putting it away halfway through the hour-long tour, and listened to the French music. The weather was gorgeous, and the boat ride was amazing! Calm waters, and it was awesome seeing the Parisian landmarks from a different angle! Major highlights were the Louvre Museum, Notre Dame Cathedral, Orsay Museum, and Conciergerie. I got amazing pictures and soaked in the sun. The bridges were beautiful, and so ornate with statues and brick work. So much history in such a concentrated area. As a history nerd, I love it.

Upon completion of the boat ride the tour guide snatched us up and took us to the Eiffel Tower. Obviously I have seen the tower many times on TV, movies, and in books. But it was very, very cool to be there in person...it is the most visited landmark in the world! I was awe-inspired by the side, and the patterns of the iron work. It was SUPER
Lunch with a ViewLunch with a ViewLunch with a View

Overlooking Paris and the first platform of the tower...what a way to spend the afternoon!
crowded, as expected. The line was so long. Lucky for me however, the tour included slip-the-line access through the reservation line. We had to go through security, get our bags scanned, and then hopped the lift to the platform. It was sooo cool to step out, and see the glass floor, overlooking the people below us waiting in line. I felt so cool.

We entered 58 Tour Eiffel, the restaurant in the Eiffel Tower. It was a beautiful, clean restaurant..and the waiters and waitresses were all beautiful (damn good looking Parisians!). I got a seat on the second floor, right next to one of the support beams...overlooking Paris, as well as the people on the platform entering and exiting. It was such an awesome view, and I felt so grateful for the experience. Of course I kept getting asked if I was with anyone. Nope, traveling alone. That has been a common theme throughout my trip. I guess it is weird to travel alone? I am enjoying it though! But yea, I was the solo wonder in the restaurant! I befriended 2 Japanese girls at the table next to me, sharing our mutual love for selfies, pictures, and peace signs. I did not order wine surprisingly. Not being much of a wino, I have found that one glass makes my head fuzzy and my cheeks flush. Knowing that I would have to navigate the city streets alone back to the Louvre, I wanted my wits about me...so I got water. I got a pasta dish, and some chocolate mousse for dinner (per the suggestion of my impossibly beautiful waitress). The food was DELICIOUS, and what made it taste better was the amazing view I could drink in while I ate. I was fascinated by the intricate iron work and welding. I snapped so many pictures for Ronald, as I know he loves architecture. I stayed there for well over an hour, just relaxing and taking in such a unique moment in my life...a moment I probably will never get again. I mean crap, I ate lunch in the Eiffel Tower!!!!

Walking out of the restaurant, I explored the platforms, and battled the wind to take in the panoramic views of Paris. Gorgeous views. Definitely chilly so high up! I decided to take the stairs (what was I thinking?!!! especially after that morning run!). I had a blast! I took the lift back down to the ground, snapped a few more photos, and managed to not become a victim of a pickpocket or mugger. There were people everywhere trying to hawk souvenirs and crap right outside the exits. Little keychains, selfie sticks, etc. Surprisingly, I was not approached once. Usually I get accosted, and then I get stressed out. Also surprisngly, as I was walking around the lawn and people watching, I got approached by 5 different people, asking for directions. That does not include the 2 at the Louvre, and the 2 at a bus stop. People kept thinking I was from the city. To me, that was a GREAT thing!!!! It was my intent to blend in, mostly to keep myself from getting mugged. I am glad that I looked "Parisian" enough. Must have been the Gucci (even though it was sweaty).

I walked across the bridge, to the bus stop for the 72 line...which would take me back to the Louvre. 2 Euros to board. It was a standard city bus, very pleasant. About a kilometer down, I got off by the Luxor Obselisk. I decided I wanted to walk the rest of the way, along the Seine. It was too nice a day, and I wanted to soak up Paris as much as possible, since I do not find myself returning any time soon. I know, my poor, poor feet are paying for it now. I walked from the Obelisk to the Louvre, which is about another kilometer. It was beautiful walking along the river, seeing the buildings I enjoyed from the boat. I LOVED the little green stands along the way (les bouquinistes). They sold and traded old books and art. The people were so friendly, and passionate about preserving Parisian culure. These stands date back to the 1500s, and the sellers were required to obtain a royal patent to prevent them from selling Protestant propangnda. Booksellers own these green boxes along the river now, and the licenses are very difficult to obtain. It is a special piece of the city, and it was one of my favorite parts!!!

I walked back to the Louvre. By then, my poor little feet were sore and I was wiped out. I wanted to go inside the museum, but the line was still atrocious. It was around 2 PM. I knew by the time I
On the 72 Bus Back to the LouvreOn the 72 Bus Back to the LouvreOn the 72 Bus Back to the Louvre

At least I hope it is!
got out of there, I would have to navigate the Parisian streets in my car at night. I did not want that. I chalked up the rest of the landmarks as something Ronald and I will go and see when we travel to Europe together.

I walked the 2 km back to the parking garage, which was a whole different adventure! So in my morning panic to not be late, I had missed all the signs in French and English in the garage that said to hold onto your ticket, as it was your key to get back into the garage. I am used to leaving it in the window of the vehicle...that's what I did in Philly, Abu Dhabi, and Pittsburgh. The parking garage is super secure, which is great (tickets for keys, secure gates, etc). You scan your ticket at the door to get to the elevator to move back down. But........I did not have it! UGH!!!! I tried to walk back into the parking garage. When you drive into the garage, there is a gate that only opens when you draw a ticket. I walked down there, and pressed the button. But I guess because I
Couldn't Stop Smiling, and Airing my Fancy Shirt Out!Couldn't Stop Smiling, and Airing my Fancy Shirt Out!Couldn't Stop Smiling, and Airing my Fancy Shirt Out!

Can't believe I made it out here! Ronald, thank you for the selfie stick to help me capture this day!
am not a car, nothing happened. Some guy came over the intercom, and started speaking in French. I was confused and frustrated, because he did not speak English. So I walked back up to the street, and thought I could get in from the garage exit side. Lucky for me however...that as I came back up, there was a family coming out of the door I needed to get in. I ran towards them and asked for them to hold open the door. Thank goodness they did!!!! If they weren't there, I have no idea what I would have done. Once I got back in, I saw the signs literally EVERYWHERE (in French and English), warning people to hold onto their ticket...as the only way to get back in without one is to go to the parking authority and be escorted back down. I am glad that their garages are so secure...but GEEZ!!!!! I placed a lot of unnecessary stress on myself today! To make myself feel better I dropped the top to the Audi, and cruised all the way back to the hotel with no issues.

Regardless of all the hiccups, it was a beautiful, wonderful day. People
Used Book Shops Called Les BouquinistesUsed Book Shops Called Les BouquinistesUsed Book Shops Called Les Bouquinistes

They are all up and down the Seine River. It is part of the Parisian heritage.. and very charming!
poke a lot of fun at France, and Paris...but I found myself to be completely charmed by the city. Way more than I thought I would be. The history and architecture was wonderful, and I had only scratched the surface. Knowing I only had one day to see the city, I could not dive into the nitty gritty of some of the landmarks that fascinate me (Versailles, Notre Dame, Louvre, etc). I had to just see everything at face value, and hope that I will on day return to this wonderful city...full of culture and life. I am packing in so much in these 2 weeks, and I am grateful for every day, every experience, and every memory I am making.

Merci beaucoup for reading!

XOXO,

Kayko

151933SEP2015


Additional photos below
Photos: 94, Displayed: 32


Advertisement

Legion of HonorLegion of Honor
Legion of Honor

Established by Napolean.


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb