Best Western Les Theatres Review


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
May 27th 2012
Published: May 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

If you’re looking for a good quality mid-priced hotel in the theater district of Paris (2nd), give strong consideration to Les Theatres. It may not look like much from the outside, but inside you’ll find a freshly renovated hotel with new furnishings and fixtures.

The lobby/check-in area is tiny and staffed with efficient personnel, most of whom speak fluent English. A small elevator lifts you to the rooms above.

We booked a Queen Bed Superior (Larger) Room which was slightly larger than a standard inside cruise ship stateroom. The bed was extremely comfortable with a pillow top mattress and high thread count linens. It had a 35 inch flat screen TV which was a bit too large for the room size. It was fastened to the wall on a swivel which made it stick out far enough, that you couldn’t walk past the foot of the bed without hitting your shoulder on it; a bit of poor planning on the interior designer’s part. The rest of the room housed a small laminate table with a desk lamp, leatherette chair, an electric tea kettle supplied with creamers, sugars, tea bags and instant coffee and a wall mounted safe without a handle. This meant that we had to try and pry the safe open every time we unlocked it with a butter knife. This was the solution we were given by the front desk clerk when we reported the problem. The bathroom had a glass walled shower stall with a hand held shower head. The sink was a bit shallow, so water needed to be set for low flow to avoid splashing water all over the place, but lovely brand new chrome and porcelain fixtures made the design pleasing to the eye.

The hotel advertises A/C, however, it had not been turned on yet, even though it was early May. Their individual room units can supply either heat or A/C, so keep this in mind when traveling in Spring and Fall. Luckily, we had a room that overlooked an interior courtyard and not the busy street, so we could keep the window open at night and not be bothered by traffic noise.

The free wi-fi was only accessible in the lounge area located next to the lobby. The lounge was a nice public area with a bar serviced by the front desk person. It had a large screen TV, leather couches and table and chairs. This area is also used for the continental breakfast buffet offered daily for an additional 12 Euros per person.

The hotel is within a 2-block walk in any direction of several cafes and bars including an Arabic neighborhood with plenty of inexpensive eateries. Our favorite was Au Petit Duc Brasserie on the main boulevard just around the corner and across the street from the hotel entrance. They offered a reasonably priced prix-fixe and a la carte menu with indoor and outdoor seating. I really enjoyed their mussels and escargot along with their French house wines.

Two different metro lines could be accessed within 1-block of the hotel to take you to any points in Paris within 10-minutes. Printemps Department Store, Gare du Nord, Gare de l’est and Paris Opera House are within a 10-minute walk, and the Louvre is about a 20-minute walk.

Overall, this is a great hotel for a couples’ getaway or singles in the mid-priced category. What the rooms lack in space, they more than make up for with comfortable bedding. Its great location to public transportation and affordable restaurants makes this a strong contender in this price range.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.314s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb