Cities of Light Prague to Paris The final leg and Home.


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
July 2nd 2022
Published: July 2nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

Ah, Paris, incredible traffic, intolerable crowds, high prices, and people who rush for no one. We spent the last two days in Paris on our own, so we got a real feel for this incredible city. You Americans who are used to a certain pace of life, well, that is not going to happen in Europe. It is SLOW here, and that is the way it will be. The locals will not change their pace for you. Period. If you are in a rush, you need to take a step back and relax. Trying to push them will only result in frustration for all.
First thing we learned was the subway system. If you plan to spend anytime on your own before or after a tour, you must master the public transportation: bus, subway, and trams.
In Prague the trams were everywhere, easy to get on and off and, for those of us over 65, FREE!
Paris is building a tram system, hopefully, in time for the 2024 Olympics but they are miles behind and do not seem to be in a rush to do any building.
Their subway, on the other hand, is well run, simple to follow once you learn the basics, and goes everywhere.
Our first solo journey took us to the Eiffel Tower.
We booked a skip-the-line tour with VIATOR, of course, and needed to get to the tower before 10:00AM to meet our personal guide.
Our hotel was the Hyatt and was in the area of extensive construction, so it was very difficult to get from here to there easily. Sidewalks were closed or rerouted and it was difficult to figure how to get to where you wanted to go.
With some local help, we found the subway entrance, called the Metropolitan (Metro), and we headed down for an adventure.
Now the subway is safe, as long as you keep a lookout for pickpockets. There are 7 lines all going in different directions and interconnected at specific stops along the way so, before you get on a train, know where you want to go, which line or lines will get you there, and map it out. There are clearly marked subway maps with kiosks where you get your ticket, which by the way cost 1.9E. Each ticket is good until you leave the subway system and go above ground.
So, with a map in our minds (and our hands), we took the #1 line for two stops, switched to the #2 line, and soon arrived at our stop.
Unfortuately, the subway will only get you close to your destination, so you will still have to walk. Keep those walking shoes handy.
We went to the appointed meeting spot where we met our guide Hugo. He was a very considerate, personable, well educated young man, who had been guiding for only a year. He took us on a slow walk to the entrance of the park, where the ques were already building.
Our ticket was a skip-the-line ticket and that's just what we did - we skipped the line. Hugo kept a running commentary on the history of Mr. Gustav's tower and led us to an elevator for a ride to the first level observation deck.
Here we were treated the the most amazing sights of this renowned city. Hugo took us the full 360 degrees around the tower and told us where the most interesting sights could be seen. We were there for 30 minutes when he released us to go to the top of the tower on a second elevator through the center of the structure.
Here was a second observation deck. The weather was completely clear so we had a spectacular view of the city. Cathy and I even climbed to the very top for a final panoramic view of Paris.
It was finally time to go and so we started down a staircase that we thought went to the elevator. Wrong. It was a staircase leading to the ground! Now, I admit, I am in modest shape for an old goat and I found it a bit taxing to go down hundreds and hundreds of steps. Cathy took it a little harder, so when we came to another deck, we had a chance to rest, get an incredibly expensive soda, and enjoy a few minutes just sitting and enjoying the view.
When it was time to leave, we found the elevator. This time we rode down to the ground and then to the hotel for some much needed nap time!
For the evening festivities, I booked a Seine dinner cruise on the Bateaux Parisienne through, you guessed it, VIATOR. We left the hotel about 5:30 and took the subway again to our predetermined destination along the Seine.
We got there a little early, about 7 for boarding at 7:45, so we had a chance to walk along the Seine, buy another $5 twelve ounce bottle of Fanta, and relax as we waited for our boat to board.
I have noticed that Paris is very clean. We even saw a worker on our Tower descent vaccuming the Effel Tower stairs with a battery operated vaccum! Talk about fastidious!
Well, it was a bit disapointing to walk along the Seine and see an accumulated amount of filth and detritus all along this famous river. It was obvious that the same attention paid to sidewalks is not afforded the river, so the garbage was several feet thick on the surface of the water near the piers. It was most disapointing to say the least.
Time came to board our river cruise and we were showed to tabe 706, a table for two. Our server plied us all evening with food and beverage. We began with a welcome drink, followed by a salmon salad, and roll. Our bottle of white wine arrived and was followed by the main course of roast chicken breast with mashed potato. A delightful sweet desert of strawberries in a sorbet topped off the meal.
All during dinner we were entertained by live music and fascinating sights of some of the most famous Paris landmarks the city could present.
We were treated to the Eiffel Tower light show at 11 PM. The tower is lit for 5 minutes every hour by a dazzling display of twinkling white LED lights. What an amazing way to end a wonderful day!
A short walk back to the train station took us back to the hotel where we passed out! One more day to go and it's back to reality!
Today is Monday June 27 and is the last full day of our 16 day adventure. We spent 2 days in Prague on our own, 2 days in Paris on our own, and 12 days touring with Viking. It was really great trip, met some wonderful people, saw amazing things and got a chance to see Paris. Travel was an adventure, but it will be good to head home soon.
For our last day, we planned a trip to Montmatre and the church of Sacre Couer, Church of the Sacred Heart.
We got a bit of a late start. Yesterday was a little strenuous so we thought we'd sleep in. It was about 10 in the morning when we finally awoke from a deep slumber only to realize half the day was slipping away.
So we rushed to get dressed and headed back on the subway. We were pros by now. We negotiated our way through two train lines and soon we reached the foot of the hill and had the awesome view of the church.
Now, from the outside, this looks like a church that was built in the early 1400s, except it is not. The church was built in the 19th century. The massive church stands high atop the tallest hill in the area. The view back down to the city was breathtaking.
We arrived a little hungry so we headed directly to an outside cafe and sat down for brunch. The menu was very French and we wanted some thing familiar, so we chose two cheese burgers with pom frites (french fries). Cathy had a Fanta and I a small beer. The burger was delicious and the bill a mere $57. Did I say that Paris is a bit expensive? Oh well, we are on vacation after all!
After lunch we took a furnicular to the top of the hill to visit the interior of the church. It was beautiful inside. The church was all white stone with many chapels along the sides dedicated to various saints and religious figures. The stone work was beautiful.
After the church, we headed back down the hill and walked around the many shops, cafes, and artisits who were painting original works on the streets of this beautiful enclave.
We wandered up and down and decided it was time for a last meal in Paris. Not wanting a big meal after the side of beef served on a bun earlier, we chose a pizza shop with outdoor seating. We enjoyed a Margherite pizza, a caprese salad, a beer (or two) for me and Fanta for Cathy. It was nice to sit, relax, and enjoy our last hours together in Paris.
It was soon time to head back to the hotel for the dreaded hour of packing.
For those of you novices, I assure you, for your first trips you will way over pack. Try hard to avoid this because lugging around clothes you do not need is unnecessary and reduces the amount of souveniers you can buy!
I repacked everything into my suitcase, just leaving out my morning clothes, Cathy did the same, and by 10 PM we were fast asleep, waiting for the 5:30 alarm.
I had booked a VIATOR ride from the hotel to the airport rather than rely on Viking to get me to the airport on time. Our driver was scheduled to pick us up at 6:30. He was punctual and came into the hotel to get our bags and led the way to a brand new black Jaguar limo! What a way to travel.
Our flight was schedule to leave at 10:30. and we were to arrive to the airport a few minutes after 7. The plan was to check-in, dump the bags. and spend some time in the Delta Sky Club for some quality, free breakfast. The best laid plans of mice and men....
We arrived right on time and headed to baggage check-in. We got there at 7:15. The line was long but moving and by 8:05 our bags were checked, and our boarding passes issued. We headed next to passport control. This is where things went badly, quickly.
We got into line at 8:20. At first it did not seem the line was that long. But thanks to the genius of Walt Dinsey who invented the snaking line so that you could never tell how long the line was in reality, we moved very slowly.
Now this was passport control, not the TSA line for bag check. This process should take a few seconds per person or group. Unfortunately, the computer system was not working properly, so it took much longer per passport verification. We snaked back and forth more than 25 times in what felt like an endless line only to find that there were only 2 passport control agents working. Looking back, the line of people behind us had grown so long, it was now deep into the airport itself.
Remember I said that Europeans are not in a hurry? Well, the passport agents were certainly a fine example. Even though they knew the computers were down, they did not have any additional agents for the massive crowd, and they made no attempt to speed up the process.
We finally got to the head of the line at 9:15. Our flight was scheduled to board at 9:37 and we still had to go through TSA!
Through passport control, we headed to the TSA line. Unfortuately, we were going out of gate M47 and we were in terminal E. I asked where gate M47 was and was directed to the tram station!
OK, signage in Europe is very confusing. They rarely use English and the arrows are often misdirecting. For example, the signage for the M gates was an arrow pointing down just over an escalator. This means go down, right? NOPE. It means go straight. This I learned only after going down and then seeing a sign that said to go back up.
With carry-on in hand, we finally found the tram. Fortunately, the tram was in the station and we jumped on for the two stop ride to the M gates. It was now 9:30. We were famished so a stop at a cafe for a muffin and a ham and cheese breakfast sandwich was in order.
Although we were in a hurry, the cafe was not. They had one person as the cashier and one person making individual coffee selections! It took awhile but we got our food and we sat down to eat it.
It was now 9:42. Our gate was fairly far down so we walked and rode the moving sidewalk to the gate. I thought they would be loading as it was now 9:50 when we got to the gate, but, you guessed it, no one was in a hurry!
Finally at 10:10 they started loading the plane. Now I have a zillion Delta points so Cathy and I usually enjoy priority boarding.
We reached the control gate and I put in my boarding pass and was DENIED. The counter steward came and said, "Follow me." These are words you never want to hear when boarding a plane.
Cathy also was denied boarding so she caught up to me and we both waited to find that we had been SELECTED for special screening. Oh joy, I felt like I had won the lottery!
We went around back of the gate and met the security agent who proceeded to run his wand in, out, and through our bags, our hands, my belt, and shoes. Of course we were negative for explosives and finally allowed to board.
Cathy and I were lucky enough to be assigned row 40 which is an exit row on the left side of the plane. We had no one sitting in front of us so we could stretch out a bit and enjoy the nearly 9 hour flight back to Detroit.
By the way it was now 10:45 and we were still boarding. Remember that long line at passport control I mentioned earlier? Well, 45 of our fellow passengers were still in that line. They kept coming onboard in dribs and drabs until finally at noon they closed the cabin doors so we could begin the flight home. Lesson learned, Do not expect to move quickly through any European airport. Three hours may not be enough. Be patient because there is nothing you can do and hope they hold your flight so you can get home in relative peace.
The final leg of our journey went very smoothly. Delta flight 0097 took off a little after 12:30 about 2 hours late. The 9 hour flight was smooth and without incident. We arrived into Detroit collected our undamaged bags swiftly and breezed through passport control and headed to our limo for the final ride home.
All in all, the trip was memorable on so many levels. The visuals, the smells, the tastes and of course our fellow travelers all added together to a perfect vacation.
I hope some day to meet you on a trip somewhere in the world until then as Rick Steves says KEEP ON TRAVELING.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.312s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0808s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb