Holdin' On To Sixteen As Long As You Can / Change Is Coming 'Round Real Soon / Make Us Woman And Man / Oh Yeah Life Goes On / A Little Ditty About Jack And Diane


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France
July 22nd 2019
Published: July 24th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Dad’s parentsDad’s parentsDad’s parents

Louisa and George
Horace Douglas Kelley was born March 26, 1925 in Aylmer, Quebec, Canada.

He was the 3rd child of George (1890-1950) and Louisa (nee Metcalfe - 1898 -1979).

George and Louisa had 16 children - only 6 made it out of childhood - the others - including twins - succumbed to early childhood ailments of the time - diphtheria, whooping cough, summer ailments etc. The vaccinations and medications of the time were not what they are today.

Horace preferred and insisted on being called Doug - can’t say that I blame him.

Doug was raised Anglican - his Mom was an avid church goer - his dad not so much.

Doug’s Mom rarely touched alcohol - his dad was not allergic.

Doug grew up in Aylmer, Quebec. He finished grade 6 and left school. His dad delivered milk door-to-door with a horse drawn milk wagon, made home-baked bread and had a large garden. All the children helped deliver the products to their customers through the Great Depression. During those years the Kelley household used their produce many times in exchange for groceries And other necessities of life.

Doug could not sit still, he dropped out
Mom’s grandmaMom’s grandmaMom’s grandma

Wish I had one of those for Danielle and I
of school in grade 6. He often took off from home and walked for miles to visit families on their farms - he was going awol even as a young boy.

Doug was an avid hockey player, liked to joke and was known to get into the odd fight. He was a practical joker at heart.

At fifteen Doug started to apprentice at R L Crain Ltd. a business-forms manufacturer in Ottawa. Except for his 5 year stint in the army he worked there his adult working life.

Little did Doug know that at 16 the course of his life was about to change forever.........





Hazel Barrow was born in January 4, 1928 in Bournemouth, England. She was the first child of Victor (1906-1998) and Elsie (nee Veal - 1904-1991).

Victor and Elsie had one other daughter - Molly.

Hazel was raised a Congregationalist - both her parents were avid churchgoers - to the best of my knowledge neither of her parents ever had a drink.

Hazel did very well in school - receiving a scholarship to help with the costs of schooling. Hazel excelled at and loved school.
Mom’s Mom and AuntMom’s Mom and AuntMom’s Mom and Aunt

Not quite sure why they were wearing these costumes


Hazel loved to dance, go to the beautiful beach around Bournemouth and be the best she could be.

Hazel's dad left home when she was 11 joining the British Airforce - Victor trained in England and then went overseas to Africa, Egypt and Tel-Aviv. He returned from battle when Hazel was 17. Hazel and Molly had to grow up fast.

As a young teen her Mom billeted 2 of the young survivors of Dunkirk - this left an impression on Hazel.

At age 15 Hazel babysat at night and worked as a bus conductor in the morning on the double decker buses to help earn much needed funds For school.

Little did Hazel know that at 15 the course of her life was about to change forever....



There two worlds were about to collide....



Tomorrow kind reader I will start my travelling blog - with the usual anecdotes.

I will catch up on first two days in Paris.



I want to throw out the following big thank yous to:

Mimma of Somerset Travel - without your expertise, kindness and patience I would never had
Jack and DianeJack and DianeJack and Diane

Doug and Hazel
made it to Europe.

Dan - for the encouragement and all your hard work mapping out walking routes - looking forward to meeting you in Belgium to try a few of them out!

Roland - for your sage advice and wisdom when I bounced off my concerns about a much longer trek.

Danielle - for taking this journey with me - still exploring after all these years.

And last but not least my walking buddy and fellow pilgrim Tanya - sorry I shortened the timeline thus cutting you out - you get to pick the next one - anywhere / anytime

-













.

Advertisement



24th July 2019

Papa’s got a brand new bag
Keith(aka JK Rowling) . Great job. Helene and I both enjoyed reading your next chapter. Must be great visiting Paris.

Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb