Let them eat cake.


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Versailles
July 24th 2012
Published: July 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The crowdsThe crowdsThe crowds

This is only the start of the day. By the time we left around 3 pm, the line went up and down the square about 4 times
Up at 6:30 am. Ugh. We were up late last night - internal clocks are re-setting. The plan for today was to take the RER train to the the Palace of Versailles. With our bellies still full from dinner last night, we skipped breakfast. I stopped to pick up a Starbuck (yes, even here) for a mocha (tastes just the same).

The train was easy to find and a half hour ride brought us to the end of the line. The museum hadn't even opened and the line was already snaking around the courtyard and grew while we stood there. Inside, there was room after room of gold, paintings and opulence beyond reasonable.

We headed out in the noonday sun toward the garden. 250 acres of garden. It went on, and on, and on... We stopped for lunch in a shady area where the food was simple and the washrooms were atricious. More walking lead us to some dancing fountains, but we were disappointed that the various fountains are only on for weekends and special events. It was definitely not a place for children as the ones were saw were melting down.

A hot ride back to the
Pots and PansPots and PansPots and Pans

I did not expect to find modern art in the Hall of Mirrors. Look closely at what was used to construct these heels.
city was followed by a cold beverage at Zinc and a nap.

Dinner tonight was at Phillipe Eccofier. Highly rated by Zagat. The food was fantastic.

Apps: Fois gras de poele
Ravioli de pate negro

Mains: Souris d'agneau confite
Duck with roast potatoes and mushrooms

Dessert: Jubile de cheries epicie
Dome chocolat

We have some planning to do as we have lots more that we want to see our list!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

So prettySo pretty
So pretty

...and so delicious. Sweet, light, and tart.


26th July 2012

blogged in -
...I am blogged in ...so is mom...we will follow the travelling food show...bon apetit

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb