ON THE DOWNHILL RUN....


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
October 28th 2006
Published: October 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Bonjour from Paris,

Yippee! have found an i net cafe that allows pic uploads. The one at the little hotel we are staying at in Paris only allows e mail and typing on the blog, but no pics as it doesnt have a USB port or disc reader.

This is getting very close to our LAST blog I'm afraid folks.

Since posting our last one we were still coming from Venice via Florence, Tuscany and a final couple of days in Rome, so you can see we have covered a fair bit of territory since then. Obviously lots to talk about but sadly have run out of time.

Last night in Rome was the standard obligitory send off with the tour group. We had one mother of a party at a typical Italian ristorante where the food kept coming out, along with never ending vino and lots of noisy yelling and dancing with hand clapping and tambourines.
We must have sung "Finiculi, Finicula" a hundred times! Dino's "Volare" and "Thats Amore" also got a pretty good workout from our American fellow travellers.....
The restautant rolled back the roof to cool the place down, it was a very warm, sultry Rome night with stars in a clear sky and the open restaurant revealed we were next to a 2000 y.o. Roman stone wall next to the Piazza del Popola, Very impressive.
The Birthday Girl (26 Oct) got a nice standing ovation with a cake and sparklers and they sang "happy birthday".

The evening ended with our tour Director, an accomplished soprano, singing a beautiful rendition of "Summertime" from Carmen. A great finish to our Italian experience.

Needless to say next day Adrian was a bit slow off the mark and made hard work of getting up early to catch our flight to Paris. Flight was delayed out of Rome due thick fog closing Paris for an hour.
Once we got going the pilot of the Air France A320 must have been a previous Concorde pilot as he had the whips out and seemed to fly a lot lower than normal at a higher power setting.
We got some good views over the Swiss Alps with snow covered peaks.

We landed in Paris not far off our schedule time so he made up a lot of time.

Our hotel in Paris is a lovely little very Parisian place with lots of nice decor and a quaint little lift to our room on the top 6th floor. Looks like used to be an attic but now fully nicely decorated. Our window looks straight out onto the Eiffel Tower and at night is all lit up so you can lie in bed and see it out the window, very romantic.

Today we went into see the Louvre pyramid , both top and Inversee and later, via numerous shop and cafe stops went out to Montmartre and all the touristy places. Our favourite so far has been the lovely little market street, Rue Cler, which is just near our hotel out the front door. The fresh food is to die for, I'll give it to the French, they certainly have this food and cooking game sown up.

Our summary:
Go to Italy to see the ancient ruins, not the food;
Go to France to eat!!


Could go on and on but think that with the limited time left, we will just put as many pics on as we can and leave the memories in the head.

So! in no particular order
FlorenceFlorenceFlorence

Florence is obsessed with David, even the pigeons!
below is a series of random shots since leaving Venice up to Paris.
Hope you can enjoy.

Might get a chance to blog enroute on way home at the airline lounges;

Au revoir
A & M;


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

David posersDavid posers
David posers

The thongs gave these 2 Aussies away in their new David shorts!
Double decker CarouselDouble decker Carousel
Double decker Carousel

we thought that Em and Charlotte would love a ride on this.
Gelato eatersGelato eaters
Gelato eaters

favourite Italian pastime
TuscanyTuscany
Tuscany

Even the toilets look nice, these are under the stairs at this vineyard house where we had a stop.
Tuscan castleTuscan castle
Tuscan castle

had a great lunch here.
Siena town squareSiena town square
Siena town square

This is where they hold the famous Palleo (?) 10 horse race each year. a bit foggy at the time!
Marble Lady of the NightMarble Lady of the Night
Marble Lady of the Night

a window in Siena
Back in RomeBack in Rome
Back in Rome

Swiss Guards at Vatican
New course of  traineesNew course of  trainees
New course of trainees

Nuns being reverent at the Vatican


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb