Minions and Masterpieces, Paris to Versailles.


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
July 6th 2015
Published: July 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

After spending yesterday looking at Mondrians and Kandinskys, we came face to face with them in the Metro this morning - each complete with a Minion. Let me explain.

After giving in to laziness and grabbing a cab to City Locker (my new find for this trip), we entered our door codes and locker codes and were rid of our bags for the day. This meant we could spend a bit longer in Paris before heading to Versailles, which was handy because our list for Paris is soooo long. After studying the Metro map at Arts et Metiers, we made our way to Galeries Lafayette for another 'turn' at the sales, which are now down to "3ème démarque"! The shopping had to wait after we got off the train at Opèra while we all had a giggle at the various masterpieces (with minions inserted) which lined the station. There were about twelve in all, and they were so cleverly done.

This shopping expedition was less successful than our last, apart from a jumper for Isabel that was now half what we paid the first time (I got a different colour for her birthday because she's loved the blue one).
"Really Mum?""Really Mum?""Really Mum?"

"No-one wants to see me having eye-liner put on."
We did have an excellent lunch, including cake, in the store at Angelina - another 'tick' off Sarah's list. The 'Rose' cake - white chocolate mousse with raspberry jelly centre and raspberry dust on the outside - was the overall winner we feel, but my "Paris-New York" was also fabulous. I have been obsessed by Paris Brest this trip, and have sampled more than a few at various patisseries. Next on the list was the make-up department, where a lucky Isabel got a lesson in applying her new purchases. She was horrified to see me snapping away with the camera (see below), but we were having such fun I wanted to remember it!

Sadly, my attempt after lunch to see the Chagall ceiling in the Palais Garnier was thwarted by an unexpected closure. This is my fourth trip to Paris and my fourth fail! If there is a next time, I need to avoid Summer and actually book a ticket to the opera or ballet before I come, that way I'll know I won't miss out! Words can't describe how gorgeous this opera house is, even from the outside, and I looked at models and photographs of the inside
Minion MondrianMinion MondrianMinion Mondrian

In the Metro at Opera. Banana!
for weeks before our travels. We consoled ourselves with a visit to the gift shop, which we "Gift shop connoisseurs" can highly recommend, and a near-purchase of a very reasonably priced pink and orange Christian Lacroix handbag, on sale! Common sense and a desire to eat well prevailed.

Picking up the suitcases went smoothly, and as we were attempting to leave Paris on the RER C, a gorgeous young man in business attire (Great mauve shirt but too hot for a jacket) took pity on Isabel and lifted our suitcase down the stairs at Notre-Dame/St Michel. He didn't look back as he hurried off to his platform, but it left me feeling good. One thing we didn't think about was how tired we might be, dragging suitcases from Versailles Rive Gauche to our new apartment after a full day's outing in Paris. It was just so hot that even the few short blocks felt like an eternity in full sun at 6pm.

The lovely Elise and her daughter Camille were looking out for us though, and showed us around our new home for the next few days. They made us so welcome, leaving us a beautiful little pocket map of the city and a bottle of wine to enjoy. Cons: No air-conditioning. Pros: It's a really beautiful studio apartment with big windows, flower boxes and shutters, and it comes with two bikes! We are in a great spot a couple of blocks from the L'Orangerie entrance to the Palace gardens, a couple of blocks to the main entrance, and a minute from the King's Potager Garden and Jardin des Senteurs. I can't wait to explore.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Waiting for a table, AngelinaWaiting for a table, Angelina
Waiting for a table, Angelina

We hit the tea rooms at Galeries Lafayette
The RoseThe Rose
The Rose

I think we agreed that with the raspberry jelly centre surrounded by white chocolate mousse, this was the winner.


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb