Chartres and More Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
August 13th 2013
Published: August 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Chartres CathedralChartres CathedralChartres Cathedral

Monet probably had his easel right about here.
Today was a busy and tiring day. I left early for the hour or so train ride to Chartres. This town is famous for its grand cathedral, and a series of paintings Monet did of it. And you really can't miss the thing. The train pulls up, and the two massive towers dominate the town. I bet you can see them from nearly every point in town. Also enjoyed the church because I was early enough that I pretty much had the entire place to myself. Nothing quite like escaping the crowds, and being alone in a massive place. Truly changes the dynamic.

Back to Paris by noon, and basically spent the entire day walking and walking and walking. I know the Metro is always nearby, but I enjoy seeing the city, and walking around between the sights. You see so much more, and especially have the chance to witness the many goings on down small streets. I got around to Napoleon's Tomb, the Rodin Museum, all up and down the Right Bank, from Place de la Concorde, up to the Opera, and then the endless walk up the Champs-Elysees to the Arc de Triomphe. I don't know if it's
Door Carving Door Carving Door Carving

Christ Triumphant surrounded by the 4 Evangelists as animals, according to the Apocalypse. Who's what animal?
because I've seen all of this before, but a lot of these sights I guess you really only need to see once. To me today it was more just exhausting walking. And that's telling I think. I always judge a place by its ability to always bring enjoyment, like you can always come back. But this part of Paris just didn't do it for me, the Champs-Elysees, and the surrounding Right Bank. It's really just a long street.

Now the Eiffel Tower was different. I had a reservation for 9:30, right when the sun was going down, and bypassing all of those poor, sad, kind of stupid people who stand in line literally for like 3 hours. In that time you could get online, reserve a ticket, and probably be up faster. Do people like standing in lines? I don't mind, though - if everyone knew, then it would just be more crowded with reservations (I'm a selfish traveler). At the top it was a marvelous view - the city still barely lit up as the sun was going down. A nice end to the day, looking out over Paris.

Tomorrow is somewhat like today, going first out
Towering NaveTowering NaveTowering Nave

Your eyes honestly have to adjust walking into this place. Makes Notre-Dame in Paris look tiny.
to Reims in the morning, before returning to Paris later, especially seeing the Louvre again, which I can't wait for.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The Blue Virgin WindowThe Blue Virgin Window
The Blue Virgin Window

Extremely old, and the type of blue is actually called Chartres blue.
Chartres TownChartres Town
Chartres Town

I love the labyrinth, you also find one in the church. It's the spiritual journey, full of twists and turns.
Ready to Leave Ready to Leave
Ready to Leave

Just heading back to train station.
Napoleon's Tomb Napoleon's Tomb
Napoleon's Tomb

I personally didn't like this. Napoleon's massive ego. You'd think he was a God.
Rodin Close-UpRodin Close-Up
Rodin Close-Up

I love Rodin. He's all about movement and expression. This is from his Gates of Hell.
The ThinkerThe Thinker
The Thinker

Probably Rodin's most famous. Annoyed by all the people taking stupid pictures around it. Maybe that's what he's thinking about. Why do people do this?
Another RodinAnother Rodin
Another Rodin

Called the loss of youth. Reaching, but can't connect.
Place de la ConcordePlace de la Concorde
Place de la Concorde

Napoleon took this obelisk from Luxor Temple, which I saw last year. Just a stump there. He was a thief.
Madeleine Madeleine
Madeleine

This is a pretty church, but is marooned in a sea of traffic. Hard to get to.
Inside Madeleine Inside Madeleine
Inside Madeleine

Just liked the dramatic, almost eerie, lighting.
Looking Down the Champs-ElyseesLooking Down the Champs-Elysees
Looking Down the Champs-Elysees

From the Arc de Triomphe.
The ArcThe Arc
The Arc

Really is pretty cool up close. A massive thing. Of course Napoleon built it, to celebrate himself.
Arc CarvingArc Carving
Arc Carving

Liked the guy holding on to the other guy's leg.
Up the Tower at DuskUp the Tower at Dusk
Up the Tower at Dusk

The perfect time to go.
Tower View Tower View
Tower View

That's the Champs de Mars, the massive park in front of the tower.
Surreal Metal Surreal Metal
Surreal Metal

The lighting adds its own effect as you crane your head and look up.


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0736s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb