Museums and Le Coude Fou


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
September 12th 2012
Published: September 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Inside Le Coude FouInside Le Coude FouInside Le Coude Fou

Not many people there in the middle of a Wednesday afternoon.
It was great to wander down to the local shops (literally one minute's walk away) again this morning for supplies. For us, a big part of the enjoyment of Paris is getting to do this - it's so different from our normal life.

Today we started using our 2-day Paris Museum Card. This card gives unrestricted access (often via a special entrance that avoids the queues) to over 60 museums/monuments in and around Paris.

First stop for us was the Musée d'art et d'histoire du Judaïsme, which we've wanted to see for a while. Among other things, it highlighted for us the long but troubled history of the Jewish people in France. There is a lot of information explaining the basis of the Jewish faith and detailing the meaning of special celebrations such as Hanukkah and Passover. There is also a lot of historic information about particular events like the Dreyfus Affair. Interestingly, there was nothing on the Holocaust.

We had just decided it was time for a drink (after all that reading!) when we noticed we were close to one of the bars that had been recommended to us - Le Coude Fou (12 Rue du Bourg
The side room at Le Coude FouThe side room at Le Coude FouThe side room at Le Coude Fou

The lady is saying "Lighter than a cork, I dance on the waves"!
Tibourg). Thank you Gillian - what a cool place! We sat there for ages and wrote Tuesday's blog. This is yet another thing that makes Paris such a great place - you feel totally comfortable just sitting in a bar having a couple of drinks, with no pressure to spend a lot of money, and chilling out. By the way, the name translates as “the crazy elbow”!

Next, we set out to settle an argument over who makes the best falafels in Rue de Rosiers - Chez Marianne or L’as du Falafel. Now that we've tried both, for us Chez Marianne wins the prize (sorry Rossi!). By far the best thing about buying a falafel in Rue de Rosiers though, is getting to sit in Places des Vosges to eat it! I know we've said it before, but Places des Vosges is just the best place!

As the Musée de Louvre is open late on Wednesdays, we made our way there to look at the 15th – 17th century Dutch and Flemish (mostly) paintings. Here, among the well known painters such as Rembrandt and Vermeer, there were others that were new to us that we really liked (e.g. Dou and Metsu). However, Ali says she's "over the Louvre" as she's tired of having to wade through ten million paintings that leave her "unmoved" just to see one great one!! John says "how could anyone be over the Louvre? If you get sick of the paintings, just take a look out the window at the amazing architecture!".


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Places des VosgesPlaces des Vosges
Places des Vosges

Not so busy today!
The LouvreThe Louvre
The Louvre

Vermeer: "La Dentellière" (The lacemaker)
The LouvreThe Louvre
The Louvre

Metsu: "Le peleuse de pommes" (The apple peeler)
The LouvreThe Louvre
The Louvre

Looking out the window when the paintings became all too much!
The LouvreThe Louvre
The Louvre

Dou: "La cuisinière hollandaise" (The Dutch cook)
The LouvreThe Louvre
The Louvre

Rembrandt: "Bethsabée au bain" (Bathsheba bathing)
The LouvreThe Louvre
The Louvre

École de Fontainebleau (Fontainebleau school): "Portrait présumé de Gabrielle d’Estrées et de sa soeur la duchesse de Villars" (Presumed portrait of Gabrielle d’ Estrées and her sister the Duchess of Villars) - catchy title!


Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb