Weekend away in Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
November 30th 2009
Published: December 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

As our feet got itchy again, we decided it was time for another holiday. This time we headed off to Paris for a long weekend (just 3 days). With the new Eurostar station at St Pancras in London, Paris is a crazily close 2 and a half hours from London. So we took full advantage, leaving early on Saturday morning and getting back late on Monday evening.

Our time in Paris was everything that you might expect, lots of wandering, popping into cafes when the cold got too much. We also covered a good range of museums, visiting the Louvre, the Petit Palais and the Carnevale. All were good in their own ways but the Louvre is always going to be the most spectacular museum to visit. Even with the crowds, it was still possible to see lots of the art and our feet got tired way before we had even seen a tenth of the paintings on display!

Of course Paris is known for its culinary delights and we managed to eat well every day of our visit. We went to the fabulous creperie/panini place built into a wall (see photo) which is near to St-Michel RER station. We have been to this place every time we go to Paris and have never been disappointed. It is also incredibly cheap! We also enjoyed numerous brasseries and cafes, eating plenty of steak and duck (well, when in France....). Oh and of course a decent smattering of French red wine, cheese and baguettes.

All in all, it would be difficult for us not to enjoy a weekend in Paris, and this time was no exception. There were only two problems: it was so cold that we couldn't stay out for too long without needing a warming drink; and Paris prices really have risen since we were last here a few years ago. The state of the British pound didn't help, but even then we were shocked at some of the costs! Maybe it is time for me to win the lottery...


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



12th December 2009

Creperie
I was in Paris at the end of November. Fantastic as it was....I found the costs unbelievable but at least I now know where to eat cheapily....I'll have to check out the creperie/sandwich place you visited for next time. Best wishes, Dawn.
12th December 2009

Getaway
Nice trip! Amazing all this is a weekend away. I saw Barry said he was going, how could I NOT assume you were far behind? Candles in Notre Dame is my favorite!

Tot: 0.281s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 25; qc: 116; dbt: 0.1634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb