Autumn in Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
November 25th 2009
Published: November 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

A trip to FountainbleauA trip to FountainbleauA trip to Fountainbleau

The inside was almost as impressive as Versailles, the outside gardens were nice but couldn't compete!
Could it be the overly generous piece of 70% cacao Lindt chocolate that I had a little too late in the afternoon yesterday washed down by the full on espresso that keeps me awake at 3 am?? Maybe it's just the need to reconnect and let you all know we are alive! This sleepless night or "Nuit Blanche" (white night) as the French say, reminds of Paris's " Nuit Blanche which was held in October. This is a night when the city stays even more awake than usual and artists come out of hiding to show off an idea or a theme. Emmanuel and I put the kids to bed and went out for a stroll only to be swept away in the waves of human energy and joie de vivre! African steel bands marching down the streets picking up people like a magnet as they snaked their way around Centre Pompidou, artistic projections on the building walls, and historical monuments opening their doors for the evening to share their late night secrets, this is what we found! Magic!

Since I last wrote Paris has changed, it has been transformed into a fall wonderland with leaves still blowing everywhere, little light in the mornings and evenings, become shorter and shorter. I enjoy passing in front of the all the apartments, shops and restaurants which all seem to be saying "Come in, it's cozy in here!". When we traverse the Place des Vosges, Louis XIII has come out from his hiding among the chestnut trees. He rides forward without cover in all his glory. Signs of the holidays are everywhere. Many have been getting decorations in place, yet to be turned on for all to enjoy. The markets are overflowing with fresh winter vegetables and sea food from Brittany. We stop at our oyster stand every Sunday for our 3 dozen oysters for 5 Euros! Delicious.

The kids are really settled into their new school and are following along just fine. They are now used to all of the homework and are learning about organizing their work ahead of time. There are a lot of reports to be done which involve a lot of writing and organizational skills. We are hearing more and more about classmates and there have been several invitations to birthdays and get togethers. Some complaints about the cafeteria but that always adds to our fun dinner discussions. The other night I asked what they served for lunch and Tatiana informed me that one of the choices was TONGUE!! She was laughing because the little kids, too short to read what the menu was, were systematically being served this delicacy, after which, the older kids took delight in letting them know they had been served tongue!! Only in France, or maybe China too??

Soccer is going well for Yohan, but after several games we have been surprised at the few parents who attend the games. On average, we are 3 or 4 parents. There are 16 kids on the team... We have deducted that the parents have other things to do and couldn't be bothered with it. No "Soccer Mom Syndrome" in France! Tatiana continues her theatrical endeavors on the Champs Elysee. We have yet to see a performance!

In late October the kids were on vacation for almost two weeks. They were graciously invited south for a week with their grandparents and cousins. They took their first solo TGV ride and all went well, they felt very grown-up! They even celebrated Halloween in a tiny village with our friends Jean Louis and Carine and their kids. They said it was different because everyone gathered in the town square and at a designated time, all the kids were set free to trick or treat at the local stores. Their main complaint, the candy just wasn't as good as in the US! They received lots of hard candies rather than chocolate. Thanks to family and friends, our poor deprived children have been blessed with all the yummy American Halloween candy they can handle for a while!
They had a wonderful week of grandparents, cousins, friends and tennis while Emmanuel and I took full advantage of our free time to discover more of the Paris that we want to see. Movies, theatre, restaurants, expos, we did all we could after our work was done. A fantastic week!

Speaking of work, we have been doing a lot of it and I am managing to help Emmanuel at least 25 hours a week which was unthinkable in Seattle. Our new website, www.rentavillaeurope.com is live but for some, apparently has some bugs that we are trying to work out. We invite you to have a peek at our new look!

I have taken on the responsibility of "Parent
Halloween at SchoolHalloween at SchoolHalloween at School

Tatiana and Rebecca
Correspondant" for Yohan's 7th grade class. What this means, is that I will be present (along with another mother) at 3 "Conseilles de Class" throughout the year. In the US, I don't think that schools practice anything like this, at least not to my knowledge. Right now I am getting ready for the first one which will be December 4th. Here's how it works. This week, we are collecting a questionnaire that we sent out to all of the parents last week. The questionnaire asks the parents how their children are doing in classes, how the child feels about the classes, and of course if there are any problems that need to be addressed. We take the information for the 28 families and summarize it into a report. On December 4th, I will meet with Yohan's 7 or 8 teachers and the head of his "cycle" which means one teacher who is responsible for all five 7th grade classes. We will present our findings to the teachers. Two students will also be present at the beginning of the meeting to present the student's point of view. They will then be asked to leave the room. Then, from what I understand, each of the teachers will talk about each of the students and we will take notes while this process continues for all 28 students. When they talk about Yohan, I will be asked to leave the room and the same goes for the other mother when they talk about her child. We then need to assemble all of the information and write a report to summarize the overall class. This is not necessarily aimed at talking about each child but is rather to talk about ambiance, averages, common problems, etc. This must then be turned into the head of the cycle and will be given to the teachers. After the meeting, parents are welcome to call us and ask if anything was brought up about their child. This should be very interesting!!

Let's see, new finds! There are always many and I have a hard time keeping track of all that crosses our path! I have noticed that Parisians are doing their best to keep in style and they are doing so in one of the second hand stores!! They are abundant and they are packed! Known as "Les Magasins de Frippes", they can be found in every neighborhood
A trip to the MarketA trip to the MarketA trip to the Market

Tatiana felt we needed a little plant for the apartment!
and sometimes there are several within a few blocks. Anything from ultra cheap to ultra chic depending on the neighborhood. Cheap end stores tend to have people literally crawling over one another to get through the tightly packed racks whereas the more chic Magasins de Frippes are more spacious and less crammed. For those who were used to buying the newest and hottest, this has become the way to go. I've rifled through a few but one day will be dedicated to real hunting! In another realm, I also stumbled upon "Le Roi de Boudin et Paté de Tete", for you anglophones, "The King of Blood Sausage and Head Pate"! Yes, a cute little shop in the 11eme that specializes in such delicacies! Just let me know if you are in need!
As far as cheap delicious eats, Rue de Rosaries, "L'As des Fallafales", in the 3rd has the most delicious Fallafal or shawarma sandwiches, they are to die for or at least worth standing in a long line for! For 5 euros, this meal will fill your tummy for the day! Of course we have been bread and patisserie tasting around the neighborhood and have narrowed it down to
Beaumarche Market Beaumarche Market Beaumarche Market

Every Thursday and Sunday I take full advantage of this market just next to the apartment!
two or three. This might be something we need to keep researching, just to make sure!
Only one disappointment, the nice and close by family doctor that I had chosen, smokes every morning at the corner bistro. I think I'll be looking for her replacement! Still waiting to be treated rudely. I came close yesterday morning when I stopped at the newspaper kiosk to buy the Pariscope. It costs 40 cents so I decided to give her all my small change. I guess it was early because she didn't like that at all, told me she had enough of that already!

Well, I think I'm getting sleepy and I've babbled on enough!! Would love to hear from you and we would like to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving!! We will try to get some turkey into our weekend in honor of the day. We miss you all and I'll be writing again soon to share the magical holiday season that is slowly preparing itself in Paris! A bientot!





Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Market EntertainmentMarket Entertainment
Market Entertainment

At the market every Sunday! We love to watch him and support his cause!
Nuit BlancheNuit Blanche
Nuit Blanche

African Steel drum band, it was alive!!
Nuit BlancheNuit Blanche
Nuit Blanche

This film was projected on a park wall, as time wore on, the photo became blurry, surely had a meaning that I missed!
Fall colors in SceauxFall colors in Sceaux
Fall colors in Sceaux

Our good friend Herve took us to this spectacular park and castle just south of Paris.
Sceaux FountainsSceaux Fountains
Sceaux Fountains

The park was designed by the very famous Le Notre.
Tatiana Tatiana
Tatiana

Near Les Halles in the center of Paris
Fallafal to die for!Fallafal to die for!
Fallafal to die for!

You just find a bench and settle in with your fork for a real delight!
Visit from Beatrice Visit from Beatrice
Visit from Beatrice

Place des Vosges


25th November 2009

Une Américaine à Paris
Bonjour à toute la famille, un grand merci à son auteur (e)!pour ces bonnes nouvelles de votre "settlement" à Paris! Cori, je me répète, mais j'apprécie toujours autant ta prose merveilleusement humoristique et colorée. A quand ton Guide? Je serai chez Emma la 2è semaine de Décembre, jusqu'à la fin de l'année, et je vous appelle, promis. Gros bisous à vous 4 Martine
25th November 2009

je suis jalouse !!!
Franchement j'aimerai bien etre avec vous pour participer a toutes ces activites parisiennes.... car ici ca ne bouge vraiment pas de la meme facon......mais bon nous on a les dindes qui debarquent ce week end !!!! tout ca pour vous dire que vous nous manquez, on vous fait d'enormes zibous.....P,A,F,N
25th November 2009

Awesome fall colors!
Hi Cori, Thanks for writing and updating us! I love to hear about Paris and your life abroad! The colors were beautiful in Chicago too, but now it's heading down the winter path with expected snow on Thanksgiving! Blahhh!! Not ready for that yet! We gave Morgan a car last weekend (2008 Pontiac Grand Prix) as an early Xmas present, which she loves and seems to now be called the 'hot rod' of the school parking lot (like I wanted to hear that one!). Works busy and Dave's new promotion has him traveling 2-5 days a week now, but I sometime's get to join him for a weekend away to NY or other fun places! Home remodeling is happening at the present for us as we had a bad d/w leak which destroyed the 2 floors below our kitchen! The good thing is that everything is getting replaced in the tenant floor including tile in the Bathroom, hardwood floors, light fixtures and all new cabinets/countertops, both floors are getting repainted (which is great timing as it's been a 5 yrs since I've done that) and all at the expense of the plumbers insurance! The bad thing is the inconvenience of it all! We haven't had a kitchen for 2 weeks now and I'm getting sick of eating out every night! We're heading ot my p's this weekend in which Ali & her husband will join us there. My mom is doing about the same and she has her good days and her bad days. She's gotten lost once while driving and has informed me that she's gotten lost a few times on her daily walks...it's all bad in my book! My dad is still not 100% accepting the problems, so that's really my job in life to be his support and also the coach of what to do next. I think that she'll end up having someone come in a few days a week soon, but again, I have to convince my dad on that one. He's still working FT but considering cutting back to help out with mom at home. She can't balance the check book anymore or go through the mail without getting frustrated, so the disease is definately progressing along it's path. Dave's dad had his 6th stroke last week, so his side of the family has their hlth issues also. It's all so bad to get old! I must run and pick out tile and paint for our home...I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving! Miss you...tell everyone hello!! Whitney
26th November 2009

Discovering our world with your eyes...
Always funny to see our France through your brand-new point-of-view. Funny too to read your prose about things that are pretty common to us and to re-discover them with new eyes.... Should do the same thing here in Seattle but I lack courage I guess. Grosses bises. A bientôt. Gwen
27th November 2009

happy thanksgiving!
I REALLY ENJOYED OUR CONVERSATION ON THANKSGIVING DAY, THANK YOU FOR CALLING. READING YOUR BLOG AND VIEWING YOUR PIX IS GREAT. I WILL TRY TO GET PEGGY TO SIT DOWN AND REVIEW IT. TODAY STARTS HER SEASON. THIS TIME OF YEAR IS VERY HARD ON HER. IT TAKES A LOT OUT OF HER AND BY MARCH SHE IS WIPED OUT. HOPEFULLY, WITH MY BUSINESS MAKING A COMEBACK, SHE WON'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH MY STRESS. THE LAST TWO YEARS HAVE BEEN VERY TRAUMATIC FOR ALL OF US. WE ARE BOTH VERY HAPPY FOR YOU AND IT SOUNDS LIKE THE PARISIAN LIFESTYLE FITS YOU BOTH VERY WELL. YOUR SCHOOL ACTIVITIES SOUND VERY INTERESTING, GREAT PARENTING. LOVE!
27th November 2009

You should write about the US! I'm sure it would amuse your French family and friends! I hope your Thanksgiving dinner went well! You are turning into a real American family! Sending you big hugs! cori and family
3rd December 2009

Makes me want to see Paris again!
Hi Cori and Emmanuel, Tatiana and Yohan! I loved your latest blog, and it sounds and looks wonderful in Paris. Brings back great memories of the beauty and majesty of the city, and the energy of its people. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving with David's family in Twin Falls, Idaho. Took the 5th wheel so a very comfortable trip indeed. Found them all well and happy. Then saw Rose in Sandpoint on the way home. Went on a new-to-us stretch of highway and saw two large herds of wild bighorn sheep crossing the road. They seemed very unconcerned with the autos and people. It was fabulous. "Mama" is taking good care of her 4 chicks - they're growing rapidly. Seems awfully cold for such an endeavor, but she insisted on setting on her eggs. Take care, and I'm so glad you're hunting for and enjoying all the nooks and crannies there. Our best to you all. Kathy (and Lee)
7th December 2009

Thanks for the news! Glad to hear about your Thanksgiving, sounds like a good time! Can't believe we are in the Christmas season already! Wishing you all the best, thanks for keeping in touch!

Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0777s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb