Perfectly Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
September 11th 2009
Published: September 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

A Few French WinesA Few French WinesA Few French Wines

My friends, join us for a good french wine.
It is dusk, we are in Paris, the city of lights, love, romance and fashion…we find ourselves sitting in a French café watching the world walk by. Traveling rejuvenates our soul so we had to come. Life is not about the number of years that you live but the amount of life you experience in those years. We have come to live, share and experience the beauty that Paris has to offer.

You have to love a country that produces 7 to 8 million bottles of wine each year. You also must love a country that makes as many cheeses as France and 56 of them are classified, protected, and regulated under French law!! And….. we must not forget those incredible croissants. We have always known or thought that the French were proud of their pastries and it turns out that they have reason to be. We enjoyed a chocolate éclair that was as good as it looked.

Check this out and see how much you really know about French cheese.

We’ve heard that the right bank and the left bank have their own personalities. We wanted to experience that so we are staying in a hotel
A Few French CheesesA Few French CheesesA Few French Cheeses

We will need to cheese with our wine!
in each location for a few days so we can explore and feel the differences in these neighborhoods.



Even after all that is said, you depart the plane, get transportation and set off to explore one of the great cities of the world. And it does not disappoint. A cloudy and rainy day greeted us on arrival, but a harbinger of good things to come happened as we traveled past the L’Arc de Triomph, the sun suddenly appeared and lit the entire area with a ray of sunshine on this glorious monument. This monument is grand and the photos do not do it justice.

We arrived at our hotel which is located a brisk walk from the Eiffel Tower on a cute side street. Our room was not available for check in so we wandered down the street to explore our neighborhood and immediately found a venue worth a look, the Hopital d’Invalides, which is a military museum and also houses some older soldiers from past campaigns and Napoleon’s tomb. We headed back to our hotel for a much needed nap.

From there it was quite easy to discover what we had dreamed of…..a corner
A Nice French MealA Nice French MealA Nice French Meal

Would you like some fish?
café, in the Rue Cler market district, where we could sit and watch a French neighborhood as it became increasingly busy as its denizens came home from work and looked to find drink and food. Just like any other night…

Our hotel may sit on a small street, but there were several restaurants and we dined at two of them and thoroughly enjoyed both meals. There are restaurants and cafés on many corners and in neighborhoods where one may indulge in fine culinary delights.

Our first night in Paris we ate at a French restaurant and in honor of the movie Julia and Julie we ate French onion soup and beef bourguignon.

The following is a brief summation of our wanderings and likes….



Our recommendation is that you arrive early at the Eiffel tower so you can be in one of the first elevators to the top. It was a wonderful view and we felt we were up there with a small group of friends because the crowds had not arrived yet. As we left it was getting busy.



After reading an article about the 9 best chocolate shops in Paris,
Every meal is an experienceEvery meal is an experienceEvery meal is an experience

Would you like some beef?
we came armed with a list. So far we have only managed to find one of the famous chocolatiers but what I have learned is that there are many chocolatiers that may be worthy of their own lists. We have decided to save my list for my next trip to Paris and will have a scavenger hunt at that time.



Paris offers an amazing number of churches and museum’s to explore. We wanted to be outside as much as possible watching people, absorbing the French lifestyle and talking to the locals so we limited ourselves to one museum a day.

The Louvre is an amazing blend of old and new architecture. It was fun watching people from all around the world come to see one of the most famous paintings in the world, the Mona Lisa. The look on their faces and the fun they had taking photos of it and with it. It is great that one painting can draw a good number of people who might not spend time in an art museum and introduce them to some of the great artistic masters of the world. We believe you could easily spend a week
Eiffel TowerEiffel TowerEiffel Tower

Built in 1889 for an exposition. It was not intended to be a permanent structure.
in the Louvre if you had the desire.

We enjoyed the collection of art at the Musée de Orsey as much or more than we did the collection at the Louvre. It displays the great impressionists of all times. It is a stunning collection of artwork. Surprisingly, I loved the Museum de Rodin. We entered the museum with a desire to see “The Thinker” but were surprised by the great number of sculptures he created in his lifetime. MJ is beginning to have a real affection for sculpture.

Notre Dame is one of the great catholic cathedrals in the world. It has a lovely setting along the Seine. We enjoyed the architecture along with peaceful and lovely setting. We trekked up to the Sacré Couer (Sacred Heart) which has a stunning location high on the hill over looking the city of lights. We had been told to go check this out in the evening but that didn’t fit into our plans but we can tell you that the view from there on a bright sunny day is well worth the trip. The architecture of the churches in this time period has so much to offer.

One day, we decided to venture 30 minutes out of Paris to Versailles. We wanted to experience the Palace in all its grandeur. The French Royalty certainly understood opulence!!!!

We had both labored under the impression that for many years the French people did not particularly care for Americans. We did not find that to be the case. Paris has many friendly people!

Our last night in Paris we took the recommendation of our friends Chuck and Birdie and dined at the Café Marley in front of the Louvre. As darkness came the fountains and street lamps came alive around the courtyard. It was a must do, must see. Although at one point I was expecting Tom Hanks to come insanely driving through the courtyard….he did not and it remained peaceful.




France has been a major power for many centuries with strong economic, cultural, military and political influence. It is the most visited country in the world, receiving 82 million foreign tourists annually. We are certainly happy to have increased that number by two. Au revoir for now as we head to Giverny and the works of Claude Monet.



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

L' Arc de TriomphL' Arc de Triomph
L' Arc de Triomph

It is a grand piece of architecture!
The ThinkerThe Thinker
The Thinker

Rodin Museum....what exactly is he thinking?
Museum de OrseyMuseum de Orsey
Museum de Orsey

It is captivating.
Whistler's MotherWhistler's Mother
Whistler's Mother

What can you say, it's mom.
Notre Dame CathedralNotre Dame Cathedral
Notre Dame Cathedral

A glorious cathedral in Paris.
Sacre CoeurSacre Coeur
Sacre Coeur

A beautiful cathedral overlooking Paris.
A view from the LouvreA view from the Louvre
A view from the Louvre

.....of Sacre Coeur.
A Trip to the Louvre MuseumA Trip to the Louvre Museum
A Trip to the Louvre Museum

A beautiful mix of old and new architecture.
They call her Mona LisaThey call her Mona Lisa
They call her Mona Lisa

She has a simple smile.
Venus de MiloVenus de Milo
Venus de Milo

They come from near and far......
Enjoying dinner at Cafe MarleyEnjoying dinner at Cafe Marley
Enjoying dinner at Cafe Marley

With a great view of the Louvre.
Another great viewAnother great view
Another great view

Lovely fountains.


11th September 2009

Pleasantly Piqued
Looks glorious! Glad you had time to share. The fountain pic caught my eye - love water. Enjoy!
14th September 2009

You are sooooo lucky!
Silly me, I thought you two were going to pack away your traveliling gear after your world tour. I am delighted that wonderlust is still in your veins. Thanks for sharing this with me. Warmest Regards, Jack Little
15th September 2009

Paris!
Seeing your pictures sent chills down my spine! It feels like I was there just yesterday. It makes me want to return to Paris so badly. Although there are certainly cities in Europe that I was content with seeing the sights, eating the foods, and getting out of dodge (Rome...), Paris is a city I could spend months in and still not get bored. Now that I have made a big voyage abroad your travel updates make me thirst for more. I really hope you enjoy your time there. By the way, I meant to tell (and sorry that it is too late) that if you are facing the Notre Dame Cathedral and follow it to the back (next to the garden area) on the left hand side, look across the street with your back to the cathedral and there is a small cafe there...the best hot chocolate ever! Safe travels, Douglas
15th September 2009

Paris Info
Great update on Paris and we are on your heals arriving Oct 3rd for 5 days. We are staying just onRue Cler at the Hotel Relais Bosquet. Thanks for all the great insights.
3rd March 2010

I love Paris!
I went to Paris two years ago and loved it!! Also love the colorful shirt that your wife is wearing in the "MJ loves Paris" photo! lol ~Bailey
3rd March 2010

Hello Bailey
Bailey, We are happy that you have enjoyed our blogs. We've just published one from the Caribbean. When you plan your RTW trip let us know and we will be happy to provide you with some pointers. Until then save a little money each paycheck for the adventure and it will happen sooner than you think! Any time you read a blog that you enjoy it is great to press the recommend button so they know you have enjoyed it. Have a great day.
12th March 2011
A Few French Cheeses

Your blogs always have such appetising food photos, but this is probably my favourite!
12th March 2011

Thank you.
Foods allow you to learn so much about the culture. I'm glad you enjoyed Perfectly Paris, that was one of our favorites.
20th April 2011

PARIS!!!
I know it is Paris and it is amazing but I was not sure if I was going to make a stop there. Now that I have seen this post I am definitely going to work it into may travel plans! Thanks for the interest in my blog and I hope your adventures continue to bring you all the joy in the world.
25th April 2011
The Eiffel Tower has a shadow

Love Shadows
Hello, I was looking through your blogs this morning. I love that you take pictures of shadows, your dinners, food displays and such. Thanks for sharing.
25th April 2011

Thanks for noticing
We loved that shadow of the tower. What a great city
2nd May 2011

viewing Paris blog for the 2nd time
I have a chance to go to Paris this fall and was considering going elsewhere, this chaanged my mind
9th June 2015
A Few French Cheeses

French cheeses.
Love all the cheeses, makes me think about going back to France. They are so cheap there too in comparison to OZ!
9th June 2015
A Few French Cheeses

The Cheesses
So many cheeses and so little time.

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb