The Tour De France 2009


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
July 29th 2009
Published: July 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We slept in until the trucks started roaring down the street. It’s Sunday for crying out loud who is picking up trash. This is what happens in Paris when you sleep with your windows open.
Once we were up and out we started toward the Arch Triumph, the police had the roads shut down so Lori and I along with everyone else were being directed around the bicycle race route. Yea, I admit it was fun watching the police argue with Parisians why they couldn’t cross the street.
We make it to the Arch I Walked toward the Tour De France
We stopped and had an early lunch we bought some sandwiches from a shop (Good and cheap).
Prior to settling in on the window sill I took Lori into the department store right next to the window and showed her where the WC (toilet) was along with the cold beer and chips. She was very impressed I told her this was Kirsten’s spot and that we should get a can of spray paint and tag it with Kirsten’s name.
We settled into Kirsten’s location to watch the TDF. Yep once we were there everyone wanted a piece of the window sill. Nobody had the idea to watch the race from there until you know who stands on the window sill. It was like fighting off flies.
Lori and I took turns securing our location; finally two young guys from Denmark came and sat down. We struck up conversation with them. They had been following the TDF riding behind the riders they had some good stories which made the wait go by much faster. Once the parade came by the riders followed soon. It was very impressive to see the riders going by. Lori kept saying “they’re going to fast I can’t take pictures”. I told her it’s always better on TV.
After the riders made a couple of laps I grabbed Lori and quietly told her let’s go. We walked to the other end where the race was ending and watched the ending ceremony. As we stood there Lori and I both realized we had accomplished a goal that we thought had slipped through our fingers.
Thank you for riding again Lance.
We walked back to the Hotel; it took about 1 hour with all the rerouting. Boy were we tired; we both fell into the bed and took a nap.
We woke up around 8PM, still tired but more hungry, we walk down to the Pizzeria by the hotel and ate Pizza. Yum yum good.
As we’re walking back to the hotel Lori grabs my arm and says thank you, and that she’s having a great time, I told her the fun has just begun.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb