Paris Day 2: Shopping Excursion in Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
December 24th 2007
Published: May 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Oh Now! That's nice JenniferOh Now! That's nice JenniferOh Now! That's nice Jennifer

And you expect me to take you seriously when you scold me now?
We took the train de banlieue with Axel and Laurie to go into town, split up for our own sanity, and do some shopping and sightseeing. We are back at a reasonable hour though since it is Christmas Eve and we open presents this evening, travel to visit the grandparents in Normandy tomorrow.


Paris at X-Mas Time


I am impressed at how many shops are open in Paris, so accustomed to summer hours where everything seems to shut down right when you need it most. This is a fitting opportunity for a comparison between NYC and Paris since we were in the former a year ago. The department stores all work the same amount to get great displays going and draw the customer in, but the similarities end there, the manifestations are more cultural than commercial in France, so it is less about lights and gaudy decorations, and more about people following certain rituals - going to the store and picking up certain types of foods, etc. Quite crassly, the dazzle happens in your eyes and in your wallet in the US and in your mouth and belly in France.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Axel and LaurieAxel and Laurie
Axel and Laurie

They were on the train too.
Window Display at Galeries LafayettesWindow Display at Galeries Lafayettes
Window Display at Galeries Lafayettes

These were "Snow Vixens" or something like that. Damn, now I know why that crazy old man Santa Claus hangs out with elves up there at the North Pole.
Yes You Have Food!Yes You Have Food!
Yes You Have Food!

Please don't hurt me now. Look at that French lady in the background, she's thinking how crazy Americans are taking pictures of nonsense.
At l'OperaAt l'Opera
At l'Opera

Relevant because Jennifer was a major Thespian at Lake Howell.
With Joan of ArcWith Joan of Arc
With Joan of Arc

Yes, she was a badass lady.
At MadeleineAt Madeleine
At Madeleine

Okay good, we've done all of the requisite head shots with monuments behind.


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb