Paris Pt2


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
November 23rd 2008
Published: November 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Visited the Louvre to see ‘that’ painting. We had heard about horrendous waiting and queues to get into the Louvre. Apparently anything up to 2 hrs to get in and get a ticket and almost the same again to see the Mona Lisa. We arrived, entered through the glass pyramid, purchased tickets and were standing in front of DaVincis’ bit of work within 10 minutes. Everyone kept saying how small the ML was, we were expecting something the size of a postage stamp, but it wasn’t really that small and was surprised at how large it was. Anyhow saw it and then wandered around looking at stuff. Probably passed hundreds of important pieces of art, but not being arty types we wouldn’t have known. The Louvre itself is absolutely massive. We walked and looked but they all just looked like pictures hanging on a wall to us. Mind you some of them were huge, like 10 metres by 6 metre odd.
Went and checked out Notre Dame as well. Couldn’t find Quasi though, it must have been his day off, or maybe he’s on compo with a bad back. Big church and lovely architecture, hard to believe the French wanted to knock it down. Mind you the seemed to have wanted to have knocked down most things over the years, like the Eiffel tower.
Paris is a lovely city and not speaking French was no problem at all. People seem to make an effort, especially if you're going to spend a few Euro. Lived on baguettes from little bakeries while we here and drinking hot red wine served out of a little cauldron from said bakeries. Best thing about Paris, nice fresh crusty bread rolls.
Weather had been nice for first few days.
Towards the end we were starting to get a bit sick of old buildings etc and historic stuff, especially after arriving from the UK and Ireland. So we went to Disney land. The happiest place in the land is probably the most expensive as well. But it wasn’t the price that was bitter. The weather turned sour for our last day. It got cold. Not just cold, but cold cold. The wind started to blow and it was freezing. And then it started to snow. The happiest place in the land!! Anyhow we rode all the rollercoaster and went on all the rides, saw Mickey and Goofy and all the rest. We watched the Grand Parade (while it was snowing) and generally emptied the wallet. One good thing about it being cold though meant that crowd numbers were down and that there was hardly any waiting to get on rides. Although screaming around on rollercoaster’s at break neck speed in freezing condition isn’t that enjoyable.
Finally we said goodbye to Paris and flew out, via Frankfurt to Cairo. Our plane was delayed for a few hours as a blizzard had hit Frankfurt and they were trying to clear snow from the airport. Pretty bumpy ride through the storm but we finally arrived, and after they de-iced the plane wings we headed to Egypt, landing in Cairo at about 4am



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0633s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb