palais de chaillot


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
November 29th 2005
Published: November 29th 2005
Edit Blog Post

the settingthe settingthe setting

the whole thing does line up rather well. even if my camera didn't...
So these pictures are actually from several weeks ago when the cold here first finally hit. I went to the Palais de Chaillot which hosts the Musee de l'Homme to see an exhibit on birth, "la Naissance" with my friend Danielle. Aside from the creepy life-size doll of a nanny, reminiscent of wax figures that always weird me out, who stood at the entrance pivoting at the waist and darting her eyes side to side, the exhibit was pretty cool. there was everything from smell samples of different birthing environments at different time periods (hospital 1890 v hospital 1960 v home) according to what sterilization methods were used at the time, to the history of midwives (who in french are called "sage-femme" which i love) to the story of the placenta in different cultures, etc.
Anyway, when we came back out we couldn't help but relish a bit in the fabulous view of the eiffel tower (which i had not seen from this particular point since 1998 was it?). despite the cold, we were not alone on the steps of the Palais de Chaillot. And since it had all of a sudden that week gotten very cold, all the little kids couldn't have been any cuter all bundled up as they were. Perhaps there was indeed an unusual amount of children there that day, or perhaps it was because I had just seen the exhibit with the baby theme, but they seem to be what most fascinated me on this cold, gray day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

one more pfcone more pfc
one more pfc

i tried to make it look like i was taking a picture of the tower, but I think you can tell what i was really interested in
skateboardersskateboarders
skateboarders

this one's for you wyatt, so i hope you get to see it. i saw these guys and of course thought of you. not too shabby for a backdrop to your skatespot, eh?


4th December 2005

ah yes (cont.)
Emma's reference to the last visit to this site refers to our whirlwind single day in Paris after a more extended family visit to Bordeaux...Late in our long last day in France, tired, and cold for late summer, we parked our rental van quasi-legally, left the exhausted brothers and friend Amandine in the car, and literally ran, Emma and I, to see the fountains beyond this plaza all lit up and flowing. She was thirteen at the time. We held hands. It was grand.

Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb