What - No Fountains?


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
June 19th 2008
Published: June 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Paris


Went out the Palace of Versailles yesterday, dont know why I bothered really. Took 35 mins at the train station to buy the bloody ticket (France and their ticket booths, why cant they just get their ticket machines accepting notes?) and some old farts are whinging about shit and holding up the line... and its always LOCAL or American old farts. .

Feel asleep about 50000 times on the train on the way out there, then followed the crowd down to it. As usual there was about 20 guys all trying to sell the same crappy stuff outside the gates, until one spied a police car and they all ran like hell carrying all their crap, highlight of the trip.

Chatting with a few people in the line then inside. Nothing that I hadnt seen before really, just the Hall of Mirrors that was impressive, the rest of it wasnt anything to write home about. Yes I realise the irony when I am writing about it in this blog, so no need for smart arse comments.

Went for a walk about the gardens as well and got further disappointed as none of the fountains were turned on. I asked a couple of people working there why werent they going but they just shrugged and walked away. Felt like kicking up a stink and asking for some money back but just couldnt be bothered in the end.

Met some Aussie girls on the train on the way back, turns out they are from the Central Coast (Dad dont say its a small world until you have walked around it). Chatted with them at the hostel, and later having a feed with some Amercians, we all ended up getting a few drinks together and catching the Metro in to the Eiffel Tower. Couple of the boys got busted trying to take a McPiss at an expensive looking restaurant after we got off the Metro lol.

Got there too late to climb it of course, took a few photos and sat around in the park drinking. Bought some more 'drinks' off the guys there selling it, they called it wine but it was more like paint thinner. Disgusting. Got to laugh at people that dont haggle them down from their 40 euro starting price.

Eventually made it back to the hostel fairly late, 'grumpy gay guy' in the hostel wasnt too happy, getting up and flicking the light on and off like a schoolteacher does.

Was suffering a bit yesterday morning and went back to bed after brekkie for a sleep. Got up at lunch and headed in to the war museum and tomb of Napoleon, was pretty well done. Funny to see things from a French view of it, a few things seem to be nicely glossed over and other things I thought were less important raised in status.

Then I went on the walking tour of the Montmarte district, which is where the Moulin Rouge is, where a lot of famous artists were based, where the red light district is, where the Sacre Coeur is, etc. Was pretty good, think the guide was trying to make the hint to the girls on the tour a little too much though, even stopping to show us his front door as we walked past it.

Had dinner at a place near the finish, then back to the hostel where the others were all having a drink or two. I stayed away from it though. Didnt go to bed too late either.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb