Paris - City of Light


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
August 10th 2007
Published: June 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

The first realisation that we're in Paris was when we caught a glimpse of Eiffel Tower and its rotating light at the tip. Wow... dunno why but started to have goosebumps, I'm seeing the real Eiffel Tower, no just the postcard.

Spent the next day exploring the Eiffel Tower. But somehow the romantic feel of the Eiffel Tower that I had the previous day simply disappeared, largely due to the long snaking queues waiting to get up the tower. We chose to walk up the first half of the tower instead of taking the "cable car", partly to really discover the magnificence of the tower, partly to save money. What's a few storeys? Like Vertical Marathon only mah. Manage to capture a good view of the cityscape. Buildings mostly low-rise, keeping the classical European and Beaux-Arts architecture style. And of yes, caught a glimpse of the Statue of Liberty too.

Walked down to the famous Champ-Elysees with lotsa hope. Mmm... but other than the wide passage ways and the mix of car showroom amongst high fashion, well... just like any other shopping street lor. And of course have to visit the must-go "tourist attraction" in Champ Elysee, LV boutique. Wah... the bags machiam like no need money lor... every shop assistant is occupied and ppl were simply waiting to get their hands on some awful-looking-but-will-easily-wipe-out-my-one-month-salary bags.

Next must see attraction was the Lourve, more becos I like Da Vinci Code pretty much, wanna see the "real thing" for sure! They even have a special tour conducted for all the sites mentioned in Da Vinci Code. Tried to systematically go thru hall by hall. Spent almost a day in there, but still not enough to go thru majority of the exhibits. It's just sooo huge. Of course, the most "touristy" thing was to see THE MONA LISA. Strictly speaking, I grew up looking at Mona Lisa haa... cos my parents' wedding photo was taken in a studio with a pirated Mona Lisa painting as the backdrop. But well... I really can't tell the difference...

We all like the Montmarte area. It's more quaint and artsy. You can see artists painting on the cobbled streets, and sometimes I do wish I can paint like them. to capture a feel which still photos can't. Love the rows of interesting small shops and cosy cafes. Me and my sidewalk cafes again.

Spent the last day in Paris on my own, wandering around Cathedrale Notre Dame de Paris and St Germain area. Some large-scale procession was held at the Cathedral, with the Pope present too. The streets were lined with Peugeot cars, driven by suave Frenchmen in their desigers suit, waiting for some big shots to come out from the Cathedral compound. Interesting to catch the procession but a pity I can't get into the Cathedral to see the stained glass, though the sculptures on the exterior were enough to keep me occupied. If I'm ever going back to Paris again, will definitely spend more time at Notre Dame.





Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.207s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 77; dbt: 0.1215s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb