Paris - As in Paris, France


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
August 19th 2007
Published: August 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Eurostar is amazing. Brilliant to be able to step on a train in the centre of London and off it a couple of hours later in the middle of Paris. Spent my time on the way there well, polished off a bottle of vino from SA, jumped on bus 26 to L’Emirtage and up the stairs of Vanessa and Manuels place and had a couple of beers with them whilst solving the worlds problems.
Next day ran around Paris like a man possessed. I walked EVERYWHERE! It was awesome. I love, absolutely love that feeling I get when I get to a place I have not been or seen for a while. It’s like a drug to me. I have butterflies in my tummy and a skip in my step.
Paris is beautiful. It is however closed during the month of August. I never got the memo but literally 70% of shops and restaurants are closed during August because they are all on holiday. The town was so empty, but it was great because all the ‘arseholes’ (and there are many of them in Paris) must have left as well. I only met nice people, such nice people. I was pealing
NDNDND

Started in 1173. wow wee
this orange on the side of a street and this lady came up to me and said ‘Bon appetite!’
I saw so much, too much to write down. Highlight was buying an incredible sketch from this old lady on the side of the Seine. Also the catacombs were unreal, 1.7 km of skulls and bones all since 1774.
Paris is such a sensory overload and by the end of the day you see these unreal buildings and bridges and you think 'eh, seen better!'
I spent much of Saturday walking around the bohemian quarter in the north. Ram packed with tiny bars, cafes, sex shops, artists studios and the like. Also went to a superb photo exhibition by the famous Weegee with Manu and Vanessa. Amazing. Saw some works by Degas and Picasso as well upstairs.
The last night we had a wonderful dinner at Manu's place. It is called racquet? basically lots of cheese, melted on potatoes, jamon, pickles and large quantities of wine from Bordeaux. Fantastic.
OH, i also learned the difference between O la la and Ooo la la. Very importante.

Off to Germany on Friday to see Christian for za Shutzenfest JA!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

On top of the PantheonOn top of the Pantheon
On top of the Pantheon

Incredible building and an even better view.
So nutsSo nuts
So nuts

They are in crazy designs such as circles and churches and crosses.
French, veryFrench, very
French, very

The bowl for the dog was made of glass, beautiful. I don't even eat out of anything that nice dammit!
What s this one again?What s this one again?
What s this one again?

always escapes me!
Lady DiLady Di
Lady Di

Where that awful incident took place.
Sacre CoeurSacre Coeur
Sacre Coeur

Awesome views of the city.
SO coolSO cool
SO cool

these guys were incredible, so dodgy. They are the ones with 3 tokens and you have to guess which one it is under. Everyone around is in on it and they nail le tourists. I was so so tempted.
WeegeeWeegee
Weegee

He was a press photographer in NYC during the 40's. He was obssesed with murder and used to sleep in his car outside the police stations and follow the cop cars. Tons of mob 'hits' in those days. Superb collection of pics with Warhol, Sinatra and the rest also featuring.
RacquetRacquet
Racquet

Cindy, Vanessa, Natalie and Manu. We knocked off 6 bottles of wine and some beers between the lot of us. Not too shabby!
Mr Manu!Mr Manu!
Mr Manu!

You coming to za shutzefest, ja?
Where Amelie was filmed.Where Amelie was filmed.
Where Amelie was filmed.

It's a film Sam, you know like a movie.


20th August 2007

French Lesson
the melted cheese thing is called RACLETTE, comes from the verb "racler" that describes what you have to do to unstick the cheese from the pan. see? (dunno how to say that in English...) It was good knowing you, see you soon! ps: very nice pics

Tot: 0.295s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 21; qc: 61; dbt: 0.085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb