Aubignan, France to Corsica Island


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Corsica
July 19th 2014
Published: July 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Aubignan, France to and stay on Corsica Island


7. Travel Blog - Friday 4th July to Friday 11thJuly 2014

Friday 4th July 2014.

Up early and find our way to Nice and ferry port without any worries. Toll from Aubignan to Nice €35.10. We were loaded last onto ferry and had to back on as we were going to be the first to disembark. However, when it got close to Bastia port, they announced that people to go to their vehicles. About 10 minutes after that, then announced Deck c should go first (that’s us) – the audio system was not very good on the ferry. Too late. That did not happen. We could not get through the mob of people queued up to get down the steps to the vehicle decks. Eventually get around the mob and Tom gets to van first but Gaye has the keys. Gaye finally gets there after taking a wrong turn (oops). After disembarking at Bastia, we head north towards the campsite.

These roads are narrow and right on the cliff edge. After 28kms north we arrive at the campsite ‘Camping Marina’ at Santa Severa. It was just as it had been described on an internet forum. It was small, shady and lovely people running it – a very family atmosphere. Facilities were basic but good, had a restaurant that you could buy your baguettes each morning and free wifi.

Set up, have dinner, and then head over across the road to little village on the shore to have a look. Lovely – just a few cafes, restaurants and a small marina.

Saturday morning we headed out on scooter to Macinaggio as they had a tourist office there. Lady there was very helpful. Had a walk around and the marina dog came with us. Off on scooter and up to Rogliano in the mountains and across to Tomino – what a spot – with wonderful views down over to Macinaggio and the marina there. Back home via very winding narrow roads.

Back for a swim. The beach is all pebbles and the ocean floor is just like in Sicily – sterile and all fished out.

Date night tonight (didn’t want to cook). Lovely restaurant on the marina and great food and service. Had a good chat to the young waiter working there as he is going to New Zealand later. All great until time to pay up - BUT they don’t take card (no sign) and there is no ATM anywhere – the nearest is 10km away. Gaye leaves her drivers license as security until we can come back tomorrow with cash.

Tom was up early on Sunday for a swim out to pontoon and back (200mtrs) and then out on bicycle for a ride – about 1.5hours up to the ridge of island and back for breakfast and Gaye is up by then.

Out for a scooter ride across island to Luri and then onto Pino on the eastern side of the island. This was an enjoyable ride with lovely scenery. Then ride north along the coast road to Morsiglia. We had a coffee at a small café right on the beach and from there past Centuri and across the mountain back to Macinaggio to get the cash out of the ATM.

Well, let’s say the scenery was great the whole trip. However, the state of the road was not. For the first and last third of the trip, the road was great. In between that, it was potholes, dips, lumpy. You name it – it had it. Very rough on the scooters little wheels and both of us really felt it. Gaye describes it as – ‘feeling like wibble wobble wibble wobble jelly on a plate’. Had to find all her bits and pieces and tuck everything back into place when we got back to campsite !!!

On the final descent, there were about 20 Porsche cars coming up and of course they wanted all of the road. Tom had to put his high beam on and horn. It was a bit too close for comfort with some of them. However, Tom says he would love to do the same if he had a Porsche.

Back to campsite – all up 3.45hrs and 61.2kms. Then off to beach for a swim and to recover.

Start to pack up.

We only had 140kms to the next stop, so there was no hurry. But there was a traffic incident just outside Bastia which cost us about 45mins delay and then the heavy traffic through 2 towns on the west coast – ended up a very long trip. We had tentatively booked over the phone at a €30/night site but saw a 2** campsite near that at €20/night, so that will do us. ‘Camping A Marina’ at Baie d Algajola. It was on the N197 between L’ Ile Rousse and Calvi towns. It was just like Narromine – gum trees and dirt but the beach is great and right on our doorstep, so of course off for a swim after setting up camper.

A lovely little town, with wonderful lady in the tourist information office. She could speak a little English but good Italian – so Gaye was able to work out an itinerary with her for our next few days here.

The internet at the campsite is expensive to buy, so we check our SFR reception. It is great. So we plan to recharge our internet tomorrow.

Up and into tourist office to check out where the SFR shop is – it’s in Ile Rousse. We thought of going in on scooter, but winds are up to 25 knots and information office is at train station, with a train in 10 minutes time, so we hop on train – 2 carriages, diesel powered and €8 for 2 single journey. The train travels all along the coast, so wonderful scenery and a fun ride.

We find the SFR shop, just in time before they all shut for a long lunch. The girl there does not speak any English but speaks Italian – so Gaye tries Italian – not too good but better than the girls English, so we are back on the net for another 30 days / €30.

Back to campsite – the tent is very windblown, but still attached.

At the beach there is so much wind – not good for swimming but there were about 20 guys surfing, boogie boarding and 2 or 3 body surfing.

At the end of the day – the wind still very strong and predicted to be worse tomorrow.

Wednesday morning the wind too strong and waves too choppy, so no swimming this morning.

We headed out on the scooter – it starts OK, but when we go to leave – no power. The nearest mechanic is at L’ Ile Rousse, L so Tom brings it back and decides to have a look at manual to work out how to dismantle it, finds some plastic had been sucked up into the air intake - so all good to go. Yeah.

Off we go to the market at Lumio, a very small and organic market. Get some honey lollies and some veggies. There was also a potter with her wares, that we were going to go to later, but she was at the markets. There was particular lidded ball that Gaye was really taken to, but at €25 and trying to bring it home, was not feasible. Bummer. There was also another potter there and her wares were good as well. The view from the village is absolutely fantastic. Looking down a long valley to the ocean bay.

Then off to the winery ‘Cos Columbo’ also at Lumio, not far away along a dilapidated road off the highway. The wine tasting was in a new building (2010), where we tasted some wines and aperitifs, and decided on buying the lemon aperitif.

After lunch Tom went for a walk to the beach. Surf was enormous. There is a lady on the beach with rescussitation bag on her face – but there was no movement there and lifesavers looking disinterested. Guess she got her angel wings.

We decided to go for a ride to a bee shop, that showed all about bee keeping, pressing and bottling at Santa Riparata Di Balagna, but alas could not find it. Not very well sign posted. However we got to see lots of mountain roads and beautiful scenery. So home we ride in the wind – get buffeted around quite a lot – Tom could feel my legs around him getting tighter. Wind is forecast for the next five days, so we decide to head out. Send an email to next campsite to book site, and will head out tomorrow.

Pack up on Thursday morning and head off to next campsite at Tattone, called ‘Camping Soleil’, on the railway line, south of Corte and in the mountains on the GR20 walking trail – world renowned. What a spot – not too busy and unlimited very hot water and taps on showers – not push buttons – bloody great.

So we set up – pegs not allowed to keep the awning from blowing up in the wind – so Tom held it down by weights. Then in the afternoon, we did a lovely 9km walk down and back to a little and out of way place – where people parked their cars and then walked part of the GR20.

When we got back to campsite, there was a big tourist bus arriving with a full load of walkers who stayed overnight and then moved on to the next part of the GR20.

We took the 8.57am train (2 carriages) into Corte. The train travelled all along the mountain edges and sometimes alongside the roadway. Very picturesque. We were told by the people at the campsite to pay the conductor on the train, but the conductor never came to collect our money.

45 minutes later we arrive. Corte is higher in the mountains than the campsite, so it was steep walking around. A lovely place, very touristy but old and not done up. Found a great café – yummy, and also found a local potter buried in the old part of the town – would be fun getting deliveries to him. He had some nice pottery and we got to see a lot more than where a local tourist would venture to.

We went to the Tourist Information office – they were excited as we were the first Australians that had visited them this season. It appears that some staff have a competition amongst themselves to see who gets the most different nationalities making enquiries with them.

After having a look around we head back to the train station. Train leaves and the conductor comes and asks for our tickets. We told her we were told by the people at the campsite to buy them on the train. ‘No – at station’ she says. She does not carry any money or tickets on her – only punches the tickets. ‘Oh well – no worry’ she says in French. Back to campsite and another bus arrives with another load of walkers – now the campsite is quite full. So many people in the common eating area shed, that the power keeps going out. We hit the sack, but not the 2nd bus load of walkers. They are all fired up from walking and swapping stories.

There was an older guy on his own in a little van, 70 year old - Hans from Germany that we had a good chat to. So a great stay in this campsite and like other good places, we could have stayed longer.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.3s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0778s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb