The Day We Entered the Loire Valley


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Centre » Muides-sur-Loire
June 2nd 2015
Published: June 3rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

AngersAngersAngers

The castle
Tuesday 2 June 2015

In 2011 while making a whistle stop tour of the Loire Valley we made an instant decision: we shall return. Today we returned.

While leaving Nantes we came to the conclusion that the city fathers of Auckland should pay this city a visit. Once they have been here they will see what happens when the growth of the city out strips the roading system. Roundabouts! Poor Polly didn't know what to say next. One roundabout joined another and sometimes another. Once out of the city we headed for Angers.

We have mixed feelings about Angers. Four years ago we stayed in a gloomy hotel for one night. This left a dark impression of Angers on us, perhaps unfairly so. Today we wanted to right some wrongs. Polly took us right into the centre where we found a cheap underground carpark. We emerged from underground in the middle of a vibrant plaza with state of the art light rail passing through. We wandered around for an hour taking in the sights of the castle and cathedral. The organist was thrilled to have us there and he put on a wonderful performance. We left Angers feeling
Angers Angers Angers

An original house
much better about the city and wished we had seen more four years ago.

Our lunch stop was in a parking bay on the highway. These five euro lunches are great. Fresh rolls, cheeses, tomatoes, pastries, fruit and a nice juice. It wasn't long before we retraced the route taken four years ago. It all came flooding back. We followed the winding road beside the Loire. A chateau in every small town, happy cyclists mixing it with the motorists and flowers in full bloom. A short time after leaving Tours the chateau of Amboise appeared across the river. We had vivid memories of this sight. This was the reason for today. We are back.

Negotiating Blois during rush hour was a chore. It was slow going. Several changes of lights before we made forward movement. The bridge across the river was being repaired so this made for even slower going. Once across there was no left hand turn, so into the narrow backstreets we went behind a fast moving local in a little yellow car. She knew what she was doing.

Our accommodation tonight and for the next five nights is in a camping village - Chateau
Angers Angers Angers

Light rail passing through
des Marais in the village of Muides-sur-Loire. We were tired from a long day driving. The girls at reception were really pleasant especially after taking a reasonable security deposit. It will return (we hope). Our mobile home is suitable for our needs but the toilet is the size of a very small telephone box. You would not want to be obese. Things might look better in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

The LoireThe Loire
The Loire

Our first glimpse of the Valley, first village


5th June 2015

The Loire
The most laid back area in France,enjoy !
5th June 2015

The Loire
The most laid back area in France,enjoy !
6th June 2015

Oh the Loire
Loving it. The tourist trade hasn't arrived yet so making the most of it.
6th June 2015

Oh the Loire
Loving it. The tourist trade hasn't arrived yet so making the most of it.

Tot: 0.684s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.4634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb