Amboise, France - 2 October


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Centre » Amboise
October 2nd 2008
Published: October 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Amboise - October 2

(Geoff) We explored the town this morning. Amboise is not a huge place and its city centre is about the size of Manuka. Still it was nice to start the day quietly and spend some time shopping and window shopping (more of the latter than the former). We finished our wander and then strolled along the banks of the Loire river - very peaceful, though the day was a little cool.

It was then time to have a look at our first Chateau -the Chateau Royal in Amboise. This was the country retreat of the French Royal family in the 15th and later centuries. We ambled through noting how it was luxurious but not so opulent as some of the palaces we have seen - it was more of a working castle. The grounds were beautifully manicured and full of we would call exotics, as you would expect in Europe. The views from the upper reaches of the Chateau were quite spectacular. There is also a monument to Leonardo da Vinci who lived out the last 3 years of his life in Amboise under the patronage of the French king, Francois I.

As usual, looking through other peoples homes and castles really gets our appetite going so we found a little cafe for our midday top-up. The meals were really good - Sue had a quiche lorraine and I had an omelette with mushrooms. For drinks we had coffee and I had a hot chocolate - all made out of good ingredients and very nice. As we departed the cafe, we noticed that there was a wine tasting cellar door at the base of the chateau - so of course we stopped and tried it out. Some of the wines were very nice too!

Back to the hotel and time for our nanna nap - this tourist stuff is starting to wear us out! Afterwards, we decide to head to the Chateau du Clos Luce, where Leonardo lived in Amboise. A very pleasant afternoon looking through the chateau and then strolling through the grounds where examples of his inventions were on display - some hands on, some automated - and the sounds of school kids having fun filled the park.

Now its time once again to recoup our strength and then off to dinner. Tomorrow sees us on a tour of the Chateaux in the area for the day.

Au Revoir from Amboise

Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb