Plovan 19 - 21 April


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Brittany » Audierne
April 20th 2014
Published: April 21st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Saturday, 19th April 2014

We made a relatively early start this morning, heading for the town of Audierne, just over 15kms north of us, for their Saturday morning market. The weather was fine and with little traffic on the road we made fairly good time, even though we made a few wrong turns. No matter, the GPS got us back on track in no time. Audierne is a fishing village set picturesquely on the side of a mountain overlooking the river inlet. Along the harbour stretches the town's main shopping area with its cafés, bars and restaurants, creperies, boutiques, estate agents and holiday agencies, the town hall, the tourism office, and the regional bus stop.

In Rags' opinion markets are markets, with little to differentiate them. This one did have a few differences compared to others, the ladies finding them in their endless search! This time we didn't lose each other and we managed to buy a cabbage and some of the huge French asparagus. Judy bought a headband for her hat and Elna another scarf! We also bought some delicious pastries that we all shared with a coffee by the edge of the river. The Saturday market also
At the marketsAt the marketsAt the markets

Judy checking out the baskets.
faces the harbour.

We drove to the mouth of the river, the view both looking back over the town, and the view along the coast being well worth seeing. The ocean here, even though fairly calm today, must become quite violent looking at the large, high sea walls that guard the entrance.

Point du Raz was the next destination, this appearing to be the furthest west point of France. The area has become a national park to protect the vegetation there and includes an information centre giving the history of the area, especially during WW2, as well as several eating and souvenir shops.

After reading how the Germans had based their radar stations there in WW2 and seen plans of the fortifications they had made along the coast, we followed the walking trail to the end of the point where we could see the Ile de Sein in the distance. A movie we saw in the information building talked of the fishermen based there who fished for Sea Bass which preferred very rough water. Rags zoomed in on distant fishing boats, four of which stayed in one area, but the conditions weren't as bad as those in
Point du RazPoint du RazPoint du Raz

One of the most western points of France? Judy was glad to have bought her new green jacket here because it was very windy!
the movie.

On our return to the cafes we had a late lunch of Formula Complet which consisted of a savoury crepe followed by a caramel crepe with a glass of cider, finished with a coffee. Thank you Mariette for your contribution and for giving us the idea, It was a delicious meal.

The trip home was uneventful, Mark being reminded by a loud sound from the gps every time there was a change of speed limit approaching. He tried to anticipate but didn't succeed every time much to the other's amusement.

We stopped at EleClerk, a local supermarket chain for some requirements, this again meaning we bought more than we set out to buy as the prices and/or different foods available meant the basket filled more rapidly! We have been, and will continue to eat well. The boys remarked that the girls have the most fun in the supermarket!

Home, laptops and a drink being high priorities were the order of the rest of the day and evening. No-one was particularly hungry, nibbles filling any hunger pangs.



Sunday, 20th April 2014



A lazy start to an overcast day. We agreed last night that it would be a good day to stay at home and catch up with a few things. Nobody seemed in the mood to do much, Mark & Elna going for a walk to the local church before breakfast, we having ours and doing a few things.

By the time the ather two had returned from their walk Judy was busy with her tutoring work, Rags making a soup for lunch from the chicken carcass we had plus any vegetables we had in the fridge.

Sitting around and reading was the order of the day.

The one highlight showing the trust the locals must have, was when Mark & Elna went to the local store to get some bread. The shutters were drawn and the shop in darkness, but when they tried the door they found it open. They called out, nobody responded, so they took the last loaf of bread and left the money on the counter.



Monday, 21st April 2013



It was a bleak looking day but we decided to brave it. We travelled south for about 50kms to the town of Concarneau, a fishing town
ConcarneauConcarneauConcarneau

View of Concarneau from the Fortified city
as well as being set up for tourists.

The first thing the ladies saw of course, was that there was a morning market in the town square. We spent about half an hour looking around, it was very like the others we have seen, only this one seemed even more expensive. needless to say, nothing was bought. But while we did so the weather cleared and the sun appeared from behind the clouds.

In the centre of the port is an island on which a fortified, walled town was built in the 17th century. The lanes are now lined with the usual tourist type shops in addition to some chocolate and biscuit outlets. We did buy a couple of large chocolate and nut biscuits to have later. Apparently, besides the shops and cafes, many of the residents are lawyers. Maybe the prices reflected them living there, rather than just being aimed at the tourists?

By the edge of the quay we had lunch at one of the many cafes.Moules (mussels) were on the menu and together with frites (chips) pizza and a glass of rose or cider, a tasty lunch was had. As we had a couple
Can we eat a whole biscuit?Can we eat a whole biscuit?Can we eat a whole biscuit?

No of course not - we shared them with the guys.
of thermos flasks of coffee in the car, we sat by the wharf drinking this, accompanying it with the biscuits bought earlier.

Rather than return by the way we came, we followed the coast more along narrow winding roads. we stopped off at on little town, Mousterlin, and went out to the point. The tide was out and locals and tourists were walking out on the reef, some collecting mussels, others just having fun. The weather has been very kind to us today, with the clouds thinning out allowing the sun to give a little warmth. The temperature is about 14 degrees C.

Continuing on, we crossed a high bridge overlooking the town of Benodet, set on a river opening onto the ocean. We stopped and walked back to take some photos, noting that the forest below looked like it had walking trails that might be worth a visit later this trip.

On returning to Plovan some rested, Judy worked, and Rags took out the lawn-mower and mowed the grass around the house. Can't have our “home” looking untidy, can we?

A slow early evening followed, and as no shops were open Easter Monday afternoon, we changed the menu from nibbles to smoked fillet of pork, mashed potatoes and vegetables. Very civilised!

A few games of Rummikib followed, three f us winning one game each - we are getting the hang of it better now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Mussels for lunch!Mussels for lunch!
Mussels for lunch!

In Concarneau.


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb