Another day in the Perigord


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine
August 3rd 2016
Published: July 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 44.8913, 1.21511

After a fine breakfast at Chateau de Monrecour, we headed off to Chateau de Beynac. This is a well-preserved castle, built in the 12th century, high above the cliffs on the north bank of the Dordogne. The castle is very large, and its cliffs and high walls make it an imposing defensive structure. The Dordogne was the boundary between the French and the English in the 14th and 15th centuries, and the castles in this area saw much fighting. Parts of the castle have been restored, but the work has remained faithful to original construction techniques. We were fortunate enough to find ourselves alone at the top of the ramparts high above the Dordogne - the view was stunning.
Next we drove to the mountain-top bastide village of Domme. Here we had a quick lunch, while watching the canoes on the Dordogne.
Then it was on to Sarlat-la-Caneda. This town is one of the best-preserved and representative of the 14th century. The old town centre has many impecably-restored stone buildings from the era.
After a cold beer we returned to our hotel by way of a drive through the forests of the region. En route, we encountered a surreal little exposition, apparently related to recycling, built by primary school students. Later that evening as we left to go out for dinner, we were lucky to watch hot air balloons lifting from the grounds of our chateau.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



9th August 2016

Great photo! Sixteen people were killed in a balloon crash in Texas. Stay grounded in your travels please.
10th August 2016

More fabulous photos!!!
16th August 2016

A beautiful area to visit.

Tot: 0.189s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0643s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb