Off to visit a few more villages


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine
July 29th 2016
Published: July 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 44.668, 0.399146

After another leisurely morning we headed into Castillon la Bataille for lunch. We enjoyed a nice salad before heading off on our drive to Bergerac, about an hour away. Bergerac is a located on the north side of the Dordogne river. The town has a nice medieval centre which we visited. The narrow streets had lovely old 14th century homes to view, cafes, old squares to sit, and a few boutiques to shop at. There are statues of Cyrano de Bergerac placed around the town, but there is no real connection to the town and him! We did not last long wandering the town as it was 30C and a cold wet beer was calling us!

We then headed south to the pretty bastide town of Eymet which is an unspoiled town with lovely ancient homes and monuments along the Dropt river. Many of the old homes are of stone or colombage and some have ancient carvings and engravings on them. The small 13th century castle/fortress was rare as it is unusual to find a fortress inside a bastide village. We enjoyed a tasty beer in the village before hitting more backroads on our way home. We viewed more cattle and grain crops down in this area.





Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0368s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb