Biarritz


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Biarritz
March 27th 2011
Published: April 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Haro to Biarritz


Wednesday March 9th 2011

Reluctantly we left Rioja country and headed for France. It was a beautiful drive across the foothills of the Pyrenees to our overnight stop across the French border at Urrugna. Although the swimming pool that we had been looking forward to was closed, it had a pleasant little play park where Max played hide and seek with the boys, and we all enjoyed a family petanque tournament on the purpose-built court.

Thursday March 10th 2011

A short journey along the coast brought us to Biarritz. Within walking distance of the town centre is an “aire de camping” – a French phenomenon somewhere between a car park and a camp site. It had electricity points and a water supply. It also has public toilets across the road at a beachside restaurant. Max had promised a lady called Wendy ( whom we had met at the site in Porto ) that we would give one of these aires a try and tonight was the night. Having established that the police collect the 10 euro fee for an overnight stop during the course of the evening, we headed on foot along the coastal path into Biarritz. The rock formations along the beach were stunning, with cavities worn through by the tide over centuries. Ben and Jack enjoyed clambering over them and having their photographs taken. The waves were high enough for surfers to be out on the water, which all added to the entertainment.

We had promised ourselves the lunchtime treat of a meal out and Max and I thoroughly enjoyed our duck confit – a reminder that we had returned to France. Then we had some time on the beach before returning to the aire to view the sunset across the ocean from the restaurant opposite – a lovely end to the day. Thanks Wendy – we’ll do this again.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 22; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb