Colmar and Christmas markets


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Alsace » Riquewihr
December 19th 2013
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 48.1668, 7.29891

We slept late (8am), and after the best breakfast of fantastic croissants, bread and coffee, we headed off to Colmar, which is 15 minutes away. We didn't visit Colmar last time - I think we just ran out of time! I was nervous that the Christmas markets would mean huge crowds, but we quickly found a parking place near to the markets, and immersed ourselves! There were 5 or 6 different market locations, so we wandered from one to another. The products were very similar to those in Riquewihr, but it was very enjoyable.

We had lunch in a cafe, where Tom and Steven had deer steak with gravy and dumplings, and I had choucroute (sauerkraut) with 5 different meats (G and M had sausages and chips!). Very good! We had hoped to catch a little tourist train, but it wasn't running after lunch, so we headed to the Children's Market (quite frankly, not that different to the other stalls, though it had a mechanical nativity and we did see Santa Claus wandering around!) luckily, Steven and Tom had gone to feed the meter, and returned a different way, or we might have missed the picturesque streets of "Little Venice" on the canals, and the covered food halls. A few presents for the kids for Christmas, and by 4pm, home to Riquewihr for a rest.

After a rest, we walked around the Christmas markets at Riquewihr before dinner - more tarte flambé for the kids, a type of pork pie for Steven and a stew of 3 meats for me.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



21st December 2013

wonderful to see that you are doing a travel log again !! makes us feel that we are there with you...without the cold!!!missing you all, safe travels

Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0708s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb