European Road trip


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Alsace » Mulhouse
September 30th 2016
Published: September 30th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Day5:

Reims to Mulhouse;

Todays trip was taken over by the satnav. Avoid tolls and unpaved roads etc... The route took me mainly on high speed fantastic toll free dual carriageways. This seemed to be going well and was on target to arrive in Mulhouse around 2.30pm

Mrs Satnav then noticed a traffic hold up ahead so quickly rerouted me through a quicker but longer non highway area of the "Parc naturel regional des ballons des Vosges" This diversion added nearly two hours to the journey but it was worth the diversion. Up until then the scenery had been nice but flat. The roads are well made well serviced light traffic and with the roof down on the Stag the journey was going along nicely if a little tedious. The diversion added a whole new dimension. The road became much narrower winding through hills and forestry and very small towns. No fences and no traffic let alone light traffic. One French truck driver decided to pull out in front of me but he was quickly despatched with an overtake move that would have made any driver happy. I was the only car on the road and the road just happened to be straight at this point so he clearly knew I was going to pass him but he had to make me do it.

Anyway the journey continued through that fantastic scenery until the highway was reached again north of Mulhouse. The trip into Mulhouse from there was just interrupted when the throttle cable came loose in the engine bay...a quick stop at the nearest service area soon had the problem fixed. It also made me realise how hot the weather was and how hot the engine bay gets. The normally hard plastic outer of the throttle cable had gone really soft and allowed the cable to slide in the clip. Another improvement required for the future.

Arrived at the Holiday Inn easy to find and well sign posted. Check in was simple and efficient. Parking is free but busy.

Shower coffee and dinner in that order....

Dinner was in the Hotels own restaurant. Their focus is seafood which suits my tastes perfectly. Non seafood was also available but I couldn't pass up the Seafood platter; Oysters Whelks Prawns Langoustines and plenty of them.

Mileage figures will be added to tomorrows post but according to the satnav I did 255 miles and it took me 5 hours and 23 minutes!! Including stops of course.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb