Seurasaari Island


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland
October 15th 2012
Published: January 9th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Once I had an opportunity to visit Seurasaariisland in Helsinki, Finland, known mostly as the location of the Seurasaari Open-Air Museum. Its just few kilometers from the heart of Helsinki. The island is a tranquil place in the midst of the city and at the museum the traditional Finnish way of life is displayed in the cottages, farmsteads and manors of the past four centuries that have been relocated from all around Finland.

Every summer, many Helsinkians come to Seurasaari to enjoy the rural, peaceful outdoor atmosphere. Despite the visitors, the island has a variety of wildlife, especially birds, but also red squirrels and hares. The height of the island's popularity is at Midsummer, when a huge bonfire (Finnish: juhannuskokko, Swedish:midsommareld) is built on a small isle just off the island's coast, and ignited by a newlywed couple. Thousands of people, both tourists and Helsinkians, watch the burning of the bonfire from both Seurasaari itself and from boats anchored near it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



5th March 2016
Entrance of Seurassari Island

Oh yeh
I've posted this on Follow that Road in the Photography Forum...oh yeh!
5th March 2016
Entrance of Seurassari Island

:)
Great to know :)

Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0657s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb