Day 2 Helsinki - Turku


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland
July 15th 2012
Published: July 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


After an early breakfast we went to the airport to pick up the car. Unfortunately the car rental was not opening till 9 so we waited in the airport for 1/2h for the agent to open - most everything was closed as shops either do not open or open up late on Sunday.

Finally we got our Prius and before starting west we did first a short side trip in a nearby forest to get some pictures of flowers and found quite a few tasty blueberries. We also had our first encounter with the dreaded Finnish mosquitoes that ran us back to the car. One of the things that we enjoyed throughout Finland were the multiple separate hiking/biking trails near the main roads which made both driving and walking safer.

Starting west and avoiding what felt like hundred of speed cameras we made another longer detour to Raseborg Castle one of the better preserved and reconstructed castles in Finland. There was also a medieval fair at the base of the castle with lots of knickknacks for sale and other events nearby. The castle looked imposing especially from the outside and the approach on a wooden bridge was impressive - we found this to be a worthwhile detour even though it started drizzling especially at the end.

After arriving in Turku and identifying the parking for our hotel which was difficult due to the downtown location and checking in we drove to Turku Castle. We walked through it and took some pictures and while it looked nice Raseborg seemed a bit more impressive due to its location. Continuing our walk we went to Forum Marinarum (Maritime Museum) where we took a look at all the ships that were outside but due to time constraints didn't enter the museum proper.

For the second time in 2 days, which is unusual for us, we ate at a restaurant this time Viikinkiravintola Harald which is a Viking themed restaurant which serves boar, bear, reindeer and quite a few other game meats as well as an assortment of fish. We took the combination platters which allowed us to taste all the different things that they offered.

Full and tired after the long day we went back to the hotel - still not used to the really late time the sun sets which is around 11:30 pm.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Museum - Coast GuardMuseum - Coast Guard
Museum - Coast Guard

Forum Marinarum Ships
Museum - Mine LayerMuseum - Mine Layer
Museum - Mine Layer

Forum Marinarum Ships
Museum - Military ShipMuseum - Military Ship
Museum - Military Ship

Forum Marinarum Ships


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0615s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb