Helsinki


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland » Uusimaa » Helsinki
July 10th 2017
Published: July 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Helsinki HarbourHelsinki HarbourHelsinki Harbour

This yacht club was on the way into Helsinki harbour
We docked in Helsinki this morning right in the downtown area…..next to the Ferris wheel which many cities now have. There was a morning market set up not too far from the ship along the waterfront. We decided to just go for a walk and find a tourist office. Not too far from the ship is the Finnish President’s residence and there were red carpets set out and some security staff milling around the entrance…..it was obvious that some dignitary was expected. Helsinki is a smallish town and the waterfront is lined with parks and wide sidewalks….we found the tourist office – a free walking tour starting at 10am – and as we left we were treated to a military marching band making it’s way from the central square to the President’s residence. Apparently, there was a visit from the Japanese Prime Minister.

The person guiding our walking tour was a bit less than enthusiastic but spent a couple of hours taking us around downtown Helsinki and into a couple of parks and through the market – an open air market and also a closed market which was very much like an upscale St Lawrence Market area. He gave us
Red Carpet WelcomeRed Carpet WelcomeRed Carpet Welcome

This is the President's house and that morning they were welcoming the Prime Minister of Japan.
some stories about the history and culture of Helsinki – were people LOVE karaoke and tango – who would have thought!



We befriended a young woman from Australia and she joined us for our independent foray into the design district and lunch at a very kitschy restaurant called Zetor. It looked like a country and western bar with tractors, cows and all sorts of farming type equipment hanging from the walls. They did have some original Finnish dishes and we all dined on Reindeer stew with lingen berries – which are red – sorry Rudolph. After lunch we strolled through the pedestrian only streets which go through the fashionable shopping district of Helsinki. There were many upscale and interesting stores in Helsinki – all of them very expensive. Walking back through the market Zoltan and I each made a purchase – handmade wooden pens and I purchased a handmade leather purse. We ‘finnished’ off our visit with a ride on the Ferris wheel joined by two Dutch women we had met on the ship.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Military ParadeMilitary Parade
Military Parade

The red carpet welcome was followed by a very early morning military parade.
Outdoor MarketOutdoor Market
Outdoor Market

The fruit stalls in this market were amazing with the smell of fresh strawberries permeating the morning.
Enjoying the SunEnjoying the Sun
Enjoying the Sun

Sunbathers at the harbour swimming pool and sauna
Main Shopping Street in HelsinkiMain Shopping Street in Helsinki
Main Shopping Street in Helsinki

Civilized pedestrian shopping area - nice cafes and interesting shops
Zeta RestaurantZeta Restaurant
Zeta Restaurant

C&W meets Scandinavia - where we feasted on reindeer stew.


Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb