Husky dog sledding, snowshoeing, jumping in snow, sauna, jacuzzi and elk


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland » Lapland » Rovaniemi
February 11th 2017
Published: February 11th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Finland day 3



Husky dog sledding, snowshoeing, jumping in snow, sauna, jacuzzi and elk



After an aurora free night the alarm went off at a brisk 6am. The glass igloos that had seemed so toasty when we first went in turned out to be quite cold during the night. Nothing compared with what we'll be getting tonight in the snow hotel of course! We both woke a few times and, whilst pulling the covers tighter, glanced hopefully up at the sky. But the northern lights continue to avoid us.



We left our luxury igloos-the showers were fab by the way with two different sized heads and were nice and warm-and checked out so we could check in to the snow hotel later. The inclusive breakfast was excellent and had to keep us sustained till the evening meal. There was lots of choice and the coffee wasn't bad either.



We were then picked up by a Russian lady who transported us to Bearhill Husky where we met Mika. He told us a bit about what was going to happen as we were going husky dog sledding! I think this is one of those things that you never think you'll do in your life but we did it!



We were given overalls to go over our already considerable layers and they even had some to fit me which is good. Other people arrived and we were shown to sleighs and our dogs: now I don't like dogs so I was a bit apprehensive but these were okay with amazing eyes. There are 100 dogs at the centre so it can get a bit noisy at times.



We were sharing a sledge and taking it in turns to drive whilst the passenger got to sit up front wrapped in a blanket. Up front we had five dogs pulling our wooden sleigh. Claire went first as she's braver than me and had listened well to the safety briefing.



Rule number one was how to use the brake and he was still rattling on about that ages after and we thought he'd moved on to rule number two and maybe onto three. But no, they were still to come as we were told about making sure you hang onto the sleigh even if it topples over. Ominous. Luckily number three was simply to have fun and that was pretty easy to do.



With top speeds of about 25km/hr we were hurtling through whited out countryside and across a frozen lake. Dodging through trees was fun and having to use the brake when going donwhill was strange as you are actually slowing down animals by pressing a big metal spikey thing into ice. To stop you stood on the brake with two feet. When moving you stood on some wooden runners which were pretty slippery.



Somehow we both did really well without any mishaps and it was pretty damned amazing. Quite possibly a once in a lifetime experience but, if I had the chance, I'd definitely do it again. We had about 45mins of driving each which was plenty of time to achieve rule number three.



You also had to look out for the dogs having their morning poos....while they were running....and slow down accordingly so the sleigh didn't run the dogs over. It's quite a talent to run whilst pooing but I don't think it's something I'm going to work on-even in Hanley park it might be frowned upon.



After arriving safely back at base we thanked our dogs then went to meet some puppies then went inside for hot berry juice and biscuits. Mika was educating and regaling us with dog tales and about dog sled races and it was all very interesting. He plans to do some 1000km races where he has to sleep outside with his dogs and the people who bring the dogs' food are not allowed within 200m of the drivers or their dogs. I'm not sure i'm ready to go that far with dogs just yet.....



Back at the hotel our next job was to get checked into the snow hotel. The rooms are a tourist attraction during the day and you don't really want to be spending long in there anyway. Our guide showed us the locker rooms and how to sleep in the cosy looking sleeping bags. There are bunk beds in the warm locker room for anyone that wimps out....well as long as not too many people wimp out anyway...



Next idea-snowshoeing! These are available for free or you can pay €90 each for a guide to take you. We opted for the cheaper option and then got help to get them on the right way. The days of tennis rackets strapped to your feet are seemingly gone now as these were large rubber contraptions with straps and metal grips underneath.



Luckily I have huge feet anyway so they weren't too cumbersome but they became quite hard work after a while. We headed out onto the lake again as that has some snow that is deep but not too deep. The highlight of the trip was Claire deciding that she would dive into the snow on numerous occasions attempting the odd snow angel every now and then. The videos will make us laugh forever I reckon.



After getting tired of dragging the snow shoes around we ditched them and went off for a walk in the opposite direction. We headed through the trees, took some photos and found some interesting buildings to shoot. I wanted to get close to one but ended up with snow past my knees which Claire took great pleasure in photographing. I dragged myself out and used a zoom lens instead!



We got back to the hotel....via the lake... I must admit I'm quite jealous of the people riding around on snowmobiles. Next time we go in search of the northern lights we must squeeze having a go on those into the itinerary. They use the lake too and get up to quite a speed across the ice.



After a brief sit in the lounge writing blogs we next headed for a sauna and a hot tub experience. They do single sex only sessions or you can have private ones so we went for the private ones so we could be together. Our guide showed us what was what and we were soon dripping with sweat and breathing in pure heat in the Finnish sauna. Other options were a snow sauna but we had decided to opt for the hot tub which was outside and up some stairs.



The journey to and from the hot tub was....erm....bracing to say the least but the hot tub was great and very relaxing. We had slippers, a towel and optional hats but were basically walking in just our swimmies in minus 11 degrees. It was so cold that the water in our hair froze when we were in the hot tub, as did the foam that sat atop the tub after a while. Now that's cold!



The whole experience was really good but the one hour we paid for included getting changed, showering etc. And it was rather expernsive but quite possibly again, a once in a lifetime experience.



This trip was a present for my 50th last year and I am already panicking as to what to get for Claire for her 50th to get anywherre near matching this....and it's 4 1/2 years away! I have already started putting money aside every month....



There are a few restaurants to choose from at the hotel including one with a roaring log fire. So where do we decide to eat? Yep, in the ice restaurant, in the snow hotel. With apologies to the vegetarians, I wanted to eat local and try elk. And that was the only restaurant that sold it. Plus of course the experience in eating in a restaurant made of ice really is a once in a lifetime experience as we could probably never afford it again!



The stools and tables are all made of ice but there are furs on the stools to keep your bum warm. Wooden place settings are fixed to the ice table so things don't freeze to it. We both started with tomato soup whichwas lovely but could have done with being a bit warmer. My elk with mash and veg was really nice and I'd certainly have elk again....but not at these prices! Claire had some sort of rosti with veg and sauce and said it was really nice. Dessert was tiramisu served on an ice plate in the shape of a snowflake. It was okay.



The money is for the experience and it was a great one but not one I would rush to repeat even if I was rich. It was €58 each without drinks for goodness sake! The service was a bit odd too as they ignored us for a while, brought Claire the wrong main course and then asked us to pay for the drinks before we'd finished dessert.



So now we are sitting in a room with a real fire blazing, it's minus 13 outside and we have to head out there at some point to go to our room. We have asked to be woken up if the northern lights appear but the prospect is unlikely. Of course! Our room just has a curtain across with a do not disturb sign but we have given the okay for the nightwatchman to wake us up if the aforementioned miracle happens.



To see how we got on.....come back tomorrow!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.3s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.2338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb