Lapland


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland » Lapland » Rovaniemi
December 18th 2011
Published: December 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Lapland around 5pm, of course it was so dark, it was like midnight. We finally arrived at our hotel after a mixup and being taken to the wrong hotel, where of course they new nothing of us arriving! It was a quite pleasant -5c. There was quite a bit of snow, but more icy - rather like the Australian snow fields. We walked around the town of Rovaniemi -Since Rovaniemi is the capital of the Province of Lapland, many government institutions have their offices there. About 10,000 of the inhabitants are students. Rovaniemi is home to the university of lapland and the Rovaniemi University of Applied Sciences. Over 70% of Finnish people are tertiary educated, which is the highest percentage in the world. Rovaniemi's most prominent landmarks include the Jätkänkynttilä bridge with its eternal flame (which is the closest thing we saw to the Northern lights) over the Kemijoki river, the Arktikum House which rises out of the bank of the Ounasjoki river, the Rovaniemi Town Hall, the Lappia House which serves as a theatre, concert hall and congress centre, and the library. The last three mentioned buildings are by the famous Finnish architect Aalto. It is the official home town of Santa Claus and his village is located 8 km north of the centre. Rovaniemi is also unfortunately home to most northern McDonalds in the world!!!!

Directly across the river from the town is the Ounasvaara ski center. The top of the Ounasvaara hill bears the site of some of the earliest known human settlements in the area. It took a little while to get our bearings, but then we had a local pizza (a small one was like a family size one at home) where we got to talk to a Spanish family who had brought the children to see Santa. Trying to speak - German, Finnish, Spanish and English all at once - verrrrry difficult!!! After an early night it was breakfast then on to the tour. First we had to be outfitted in Artic gear then we were off to the Reindeer farm. It was around -15c and the sun was not up yet it was only 10.30 in the morning. At this time of year the sun rises around 12 to 12.30 and sets at 2pm, so the days are not too long. We went first to learn about Saami culture and be initiated into the tribe (this consisted of being cut on the back of the neck - pretend of course - and then be marked with a burning stick - or the charcoal off it!

The Saami people are the northernmost and the Nordic countries’ indigenous people.] Sami ancestral lands span an area of approximately 388,350 km2 (150,000 sq. mi), which is approximately the size of Sweden. Traditionally, the Sami have pursued a variety of livelihoods, including coastal fishing fur trapping, sheep herding but mainly with reindeer herding and involves 10%!o(MISSING)f the Sami on a full-time basis.For traditional, environmental, cultural and political reasons, reindeer herding is legally reserved only for Sami people in certain regions of the Nordic countries. We were then taken for a reindeer sleigh ride and gained our driving licence which is valid for 5 years! Then it was a meeting with Santa, where I gave him Angie’s children’s letter. Sam and Summer had written out a letter each to Santa and I gave it to him and told him how good all the boys and girls in Mornington had been 😊.

Then it was off to explore the wilds of Lapland on a snowmobile. Phillip enjoyed the driving and I survived as a passenger. After a few hours of the Arctic weather, it was time for lunch of meatballs and veggies, with warm fruit juice, tea and coffee along with bread and jam by a big open fire. Then it was off to Santa’s village - a somewhat commercial setting, but great for kids. We had to go meet Santa, have my photo taken with him (when he asked what I wanted for Christmas, Phillip piped up and said maybe a new boyfriend! - only a son could say that!!!) Santa said he was already married, but maybe he could set me up with one of his elves. I was a little concerned about the height differential, but he assured me they came in all sizes!!

Later that night it was off again on the snowmobile at -20c to see if we could experience the Northern Lights - unfortunately all we saw was snow! We were travelling for an hour each way and then we were in a tepee type arrangement cooking sausages over the fire and drinking hot berry juice. Even though it was dark, the snow made it look light, but no luck on the sightings even though it was the right time, the conditions were not good, so maybe you have to stay for a long time to get to see them, maybe next time!

The next day we went to a dog sled farm, it was massive, many, many dogs and many, many tourists. We all took turns in being passenger and driver - and as I said to friends, the eskimo women had it right, they stayed on the sleigh with fur blankets while the men had to run and drive the sleigh with the dogs, and they stayed in the huts by the fire cooking while the men went out to hunt. I must say Phillip did a great job driving, I was a little slower when it was my turn.

We left the following day and returned to Hamburg. Phillip went back to Bremen whilst I stayed on in Hamburg. Knowing me, I ended up with a hotel in the Red Light district! It was right next door to the biggest sex shop I had seen. So of course during daylight hours it was very quiet. It was very wet and cold, but I managed to tour around the city. I travelled all around the Lake district . We travelled around town, from the castle to the world-harbour including all the canals (bigger and better than Venice), then along the Redlight disrict past the notorious Reeperbahn where all the clubs and prostitutes are. It is also where the Beatles got to be famous and they have them immortalised there. There were a great number of highlights in architecture, but most only go back to late 19th century as most of Hamburg was burnt to the ground in a great fire. I travelled around Blankenese, the former fishing village at the west-banks of Hamburg and I am told they have the best fish market outside of Seattle but only on Sundays. then I went to a place called Landungsbrucken which is a popular location with St. Pauli jetties and the old tunnel under the Elbe which takes cars down in lifts, which have the most charming wooden doors, down to the tunnel under the harbour, and you drive or walk across, then up the other side. I also went the free port area and shed 52, the historic warehouse district which is a little like Docklands and Harbour town in Melbourne. Then it was the famouse Rathaus (town hall) Christmas market. I goes for miles and there is a theme of drinking Gluwein and eating sausages or herring rolls!! Lots of things to see, pretty as a picture, but would have been great in the snow, unfortunately it was raining most of the time,

The next day I went to the Hamburg Art museum http://english.hamburg.de/kunsthalle-np/ and spent most of the morning there. When I came out it was bucketing down with rain, so played in the shopping centres until it was time to leave.

After I arrived home to Delmenhorst, it was an early night and then Phillip and I went to the movies whilst Nadine went to a hen’s night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 27


Advertisement

handing over the mailhanding over the mail
handing over the mail

Although I have my eyes shut in this shot, I can definitely say it was a hand delivered letter to Santa


Tot: 0.398s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0863s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb