Wet day in Rovaniemi FINLAND


Advertisement
Finland's flag
Europe » Finland » Lapland » Rovaniemi
July 7th 2010
Published: July 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After the glorious weather of yesterday, rather a shock to be woken in the middle of the light of night to the sound of heavy rain on our roof (rain is always noisier than usual in a motorhome).
Not sure what time it was when it started as at some point this afternoon we remembered that one Scandinavian country was an extra hour ahead and of course it was Finland.
So, the photos I took of the midnight sun yesterday are even more impressive - as I obviously took them at 1am and went to bed even later than I realised. Odd how one can lose an hour just by passing under the flag of Finland en route from Sweden but that is where it must have gone.
We did ‘not a lot’ today because of the rain. Not just spitting but absolute downpour so impossible really to think of anything we could do except stay in Tandy and mess about.
As it happened I had a planned Skype at 10am with daughter Jenny and granddaughter Izzy in Australia. Of course this was really at 11am but I didn’t know that at the time and my watch still said 10 so that was all right.
Skype / wifi connection was badly affected somehow by the rain so had to run across to the campsite café where the signal was better.
At 6pm we realised that the rain had stopped so we put on our waterproof coats, just in case, and walked across one of the bridges which connect the campsite to the town. Spent half an hour wandering round this not terribly interesting town then walked back across the other bridge. Not the town’s fault it is not inspiring. It was, like many other European towns, completely destroyed by the Germans in 1944 so nothing historical remains. Interesting to see though that the style of building is not at all Western European but much more Eastern European and utilitarian.
Surprisingly and very kindly the sun came out again by 9pm and the campsite occupants all emerged from the caravans and motorhomes to enjoy the lovely evening.
We had planned to make a brief visit to the Finnish arctic circle (Finnish Napapiiri) and Santa Claus’ Village but didn’t of course because of the rain. Will take a detour on the way out of town tomorrow as seems a shame to be so close and not visit.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb