Tallinn II


Advertisement
Estonia's flag
Europe » Estonia » Tallinn
June 18th 2015
Published: June 20th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Spend our first whole day in Tallinn learning about Estonia. All with a background of rain. It mainly rained very lightly, but all day long. Dryed up in the early evening though.

We took a walking tour of Tallinn, called the Free Walking Tour, as you pay only what you think they deserve. Mart who led the tour, offered pointed commentary of the current and past political and cultural scene in Estonia. It was an excellent ongoing lecture. It's history is similar to Poland's, has they were(are) situated between stronger more agressive European states. The people had been treated virtually like slaves in some ways. The Germans, Swedes, Danish and of course, worst at least in recent memory , the Russians. The Russians continue to taunt the Estonians. The Estonians are tightly aligned with the European Union and NATO, as evidenced by a recent NATO manuevers in Estonia. People here realize they are a small country of 1.3 million and fear the Russians.



Had nice dinner at a local bistro.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Alexander Nevsky Russian Ortodox church on Toompea hill in TallinAlexander Nevsky Russian Ortodox church on Toompea hill in Tallin
Alexander Nevsky Russian Ortodox church on Toompea hill in Tallin

Many Estonias look at this Cathederal as a remnant of Russian rule. It is not well liked by many.


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb